About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Literature Types & Genres - Chapter Summary
Because there are so many types and genres of literature, they can be easily confused and forgotten. Help your students refresh their knowledge of each genre with this comprehensive study guide chapter so they can adequately prepare for these types of questions on the ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA exam. The types of literature covered in these lessons include:
- Characteristics of the main literary genres
- Differences between fable, folktale, myth and legend
- Overview of the autobiography genre
- Examples of period, subject, enumerative and annotated bibliographies
- Exploration of folk and didactic literature
- Description of various forms of essays, including informative and evaluative essays
- Determining the purpose of a text
After thoroughly reviewing the information presented in each lesson, assess how well your students understand the material by having them take the brief lesson quizzes and chapter exam. For hard-copy study material, full video transcripts and lesson quiz worksheets are available as part of the study guide course. As always, instructors are also available to answer any questions and provide clarification, if needed.
1. Literary Genres: Definition, Types, Characteristics & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn what is meant by the term genre. In addition, the main types of literary genres will be described, with examples given for each.
2. The Fable, Folktale, Myth, Legend: Differences and Examples
In this lesson, learn about fables, folktales, myths and legends, stories that entertain and serve instructive or educational purposes. Discover how these types of stories differ from one another and about their prevalence throughout the world.
3. Autobiography: Definition & Examples
This lesson examines the genre of nonfiction. Specifically, you will learn how an autobiography is nonfiction, with examples illustrating the concepts.
4. Period Bibliography: Definition & Examples
Find out what period bibliographies are, how they're different from other types of bibliographies, and how they're useful. Read the lesson, and then take a brief quiz to test your new knowledge.
5. Subject Bibliography: Definition & Examples
Find out what a subject bibliography is and how it can be useful to your research essay or project. Learn what goes into a subject bibliography, then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
6. Enumerative Bibliography: Definition & Examples
A bibliography is a listing of sources of information on a topic. There are a few different types of bibliographies, but the enumerative bibliography is one of the most commonly used. Let's take a closer look.
7. Annotated Bibliography: Definition & Examples
Learn what annotated bibliographies are and how they're used in the research process. In this lesson, we'll discuss what it means to annotate and what to include in annotated bibliographies for research essays and projects.
8. Folk Literature: Definition & Books
From China to Israel to the United States, folk literature exists wherever there are humans to tell stories or to sing songs. Come hear more about these pieces of oral heritage and encounter some examples of the genre that you're sure to recognize!
9. Didactic Literature: Definition & Examples
This lesson discusses didactic literature and goes over examples of this type of writing. Learn the definition, history, and a few literary examples of this enlightening genre!
10. Essay: Writing & Examples
What is an essay? An essay is a piece of nonfiction writing that expresses various genres or styles of prose depending on the subject, content, purpose, and audience of the particular piece.
11. Informative Essay: Definition, Examples & Structure
There are many ways to inform your reader on a topic, from comparing and contrasting to providing a simple definition. Watch this lesson to learn about informative essays and how they educate readers through different formats.
12. Evaluative Essay: Examples, Format & Characteristics
A good evaluative essay helps a writer present an opinion using criteria and evidence. Learn all about the evaluative essay and its components in this lesson.
13. How to Analyze the Purpose of a Text
In this lesson, we will learn how to analyze the purpose of a text. We will explore some of the primary purposes and practice determining purpose using some writing samples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Recognizing Literary Elements
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Organization of Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Poetry
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Point of View in Literature
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Inference & Context in Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Persuasive Texts
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Informational Texts
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Media Literacy
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Vocabulary & the Meaning of Words
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Figures of Speech
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: The Writing Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Writing Effective Compositions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Research Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Using Supporting Evidence
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Citing Sources
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Spelling Rules
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Nouns, Pronouns & Adjectives
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Verbs & Adverbs
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Phrases, Clauses & Modifiers
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Sentences
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Grammar Conventions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts Flashcards