About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Persuasive Texts - Chapter Summary
Let your student use this study guide chapter to better understand the concepts of persuasive writing that will be assessed on the ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA exam. The easy-to-understand format of these lessons guide the student through topics including:
- Defining persuasive text and specific examples of persuasive writing
- Format of argumentative essays
- Usage of rhetorical devices, including antimetabole
- Modes of rhetorical writing and examples of each
Eighth-graders can utilize the brief but useful lesson quizzes and chapter exam to assess readiness for these types of questions on the ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA exam. Each quiz also has a corresponding worksheet that can be printed and used as a study resource. If the student has any questions regarding the topics in this chapter, instructors are always available to help.
1. What is Persuasive Text? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will teach you how to identify all components of persuasive writing. You'll learn more about informational texts and test your understanding through a brief quiz.
2. Argumentative Essay: Definition, Format & Examples
Argumentative essays are kind of like superpowers: they allow you to get what you want using the superpower of persuasion. View this lesson and learn how to channel persuasion to write a good essay.
3. Rhetorical Device: Definition & Examples
Rhetorical devices are used in language to communicate effectively and persuade. Here you'll discover more about rhetorical devices and learn how to put some of them to use in some persuasion of your own.
4. Antimetabole: Definition & Examples
It's easy to get turned around trying to figure out what 'antimetabole' is, but this lesson should help point you in the right direction. Keep reading to find out more about this emphatic rhetorical device and see some recognizable examples.
5. Rhetorical Modes of Writing: Definition & Examples
If you've ever written anything, you've used rhetoric. Examine the most common modes in rhetorical writing and learn how you can use them in your life.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Literature Types & Genres
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Recognizing Literary Elements
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Organization of Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Poetry
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Point of View in Literature
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Inference & Context in Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Informational Texts
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Media Literacy
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Vocabulary & the Meaning of Words
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Figures of Speech
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: The Writing Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Writing Effective Compositions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Research Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Using Supporting Evidence
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Citing Sources
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Spelling Rules
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Nouns, Pronouns & Adjectives
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Verbs & Adverbs
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Phrases, Clauses & Modifiers
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Sentences
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Grammar Conventions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts Flashcards