About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Phrases, Clauses & Modifiers - Chapter Summary
Students can use this chapter to prepare for the ISTEP+ Grade 8 English Language Arts exam by familiarizing themselves with phrases, clauses and modifiers. Our video lessons review:
- Definitions of clauses and phrases
- Independent and dependent clauses
- Indefinite and definite articles
- Misplaced and dangling modifiers
Each lesson is associated with an interactive quiz that allows students to practice their language skills. Expert instructors are available to support learners by answering any questions they might have about these English lessons.
1. What is a Clause?
In this lesson, we will define what a clause is. We will then look at the different types of clauses, define each of the types, provide some examples of each, and then discuss why they are important in our writing.
2. What is a Phrase?
In this lesson, we will define a phrase. We will then discuss the different kinds of phrases, look at examples of each, and then discuss how to use them correctly in writing.
3. Independent & Dependent Clauses: Subordination & Coordination
This lesson is about independent and dependent clauses, and how they make up a sentence. Dependent clauses, like the name suggests, rely on other elements in a sentence. Independent clauses, on the other hand, can stand alone. Learn more in this lesson.
4. Combining Dependent & Independent Clauses
Clauses are a great mystery to many people when dealing with our written language. Watch this video lesson to discover clauses and also to learn how to combine clauses correctly.
5. Indefinite and Definite Articles: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson on indefinite and definite articles. Find out when you should use which type of article and when you shouldn't use any article at all.
6. What Are Misplaced Modifiers and Dangling Modifiers?
I have this recurring nightmare where all my modifiers are misplaced or dangling and everybody's laughing at me. Don't let this happen to you! Learn why modifiers are important and why putting them in the right place is even more so.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Literature Types & Genres
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Recognizing Literary Elements
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Organization of Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Poetry
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Point of View in Literature
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Inference & Context in Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Persuasive Texts
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Informational Texts
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Media Literacy
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Vocabulary & the Meaning of Words
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Figures of Speech
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: The Writing Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Writing Effective Compositions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Research Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Using Supporting Evidence
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Citing Sources
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Spelling Rules
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Nouns, Pronouns & Adjectives
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Verbs & Adverbs
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Sentences
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Grammar Conventions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts Flashcards