About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Point of View in Literature - Chapter Summary
Having the ability to accurately identify the point of view in a piece of literature is a necessary skill your 8th grader will need to correctly answer questions on for the ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA exam. They must also develop a strong ability of reading comprehension. As your student navigates the easy-to-understand lessons presented in this chapter, he/she will be provided with helpful information on:
- Determining who's perspective the text is referencing
- Identifying what type of narration is being used
- Defining the impact narrators have on the context and perspective of the story
These informative and engaging lessons are supplemented with useful multiple-choice quizzes that can be taken online or printed out. These tools will help the student measure their comprehension of the material and identify areas that need to be reviewed. They can use the direct links within the quizzes to go back to specific topics for easy review.
1. Point of View: First, Second & Third Person
Just who is telling this story? In this lesson, we'll look at point of view, or the perspective from which a work is told. We'll review first person, second person and third person points of view.
2. Second-Person Point of View: Definition & Examples
You've heard of first-person and third-person, but did you know that there's a point of view that exists between the two? In fact, you're experiencing that point of view right now. Come and learn the ins and outs of second-person point of view, reading examples from Italo Calvino and Richard Hugo.
3. Third-Person Point of View: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll discuss third-person point of view, looking at examples from Margaret Atwood, Kurt Vonnegut and Ernest Hemingway. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Third Person Omniscient Narrator: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will define third person omniscient. We will then discuss why an author would use this point of view and then look at examples in modern and classical literature.
5. Third Person Limited Narrator: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will define third person limited narration. We will discuss why an author would choose this point of view and compare and contrast it to other points of view. Then, we will look at a couple of examples from well-known literary texts.
6. Narrators in Literature: Types and Definitions
Learn how point of view, or the angle from which a story is told, impacts the narrative voice of a work of literature. Explore, through examples, how point of view can be limited, objective, or omniscient.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Literature Types & Genres
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Recognizing Literary Elements
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Organization of Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Poetry
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Inference & Context in Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Persuasive Texts
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Informational Texts
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Media Literacy
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Vocabulary & the Meaning of Words
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Figures of Speech
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: The Writing Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Writing Effective Compositions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Research Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Using Supporting Evidence
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Citing Sources
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Spelling Rules
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Nouns, Pronouns & Adjectives
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Verbs & Adverbs
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Phrases, Clauses & Modifiers
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Sentences
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Grammar Conventions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts Flashcards