About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Research Strategies- Chapter Summary
This series of short and engaging lesson videos are lead by our professional instructors who will help you get ready to take the ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA exam. Here they will review important information about how you should conduct research in an efficient manner. After these lessons, you should have a better understanding of:
- Quantitative and qualitative research
- Research questions
- The importance of reliability and validity
- How to find research materials
- The difference between primary and secondary research
- How to use search engines for online research
- Using tables for categorical data
- Techniques for quoting, paraphrasing and summarizing research
- The way to analyze, apply and draw conclusions from research
Depending on your preferences, you can watch the video lessons, read the lesson transcripts or use both when you are studying the lessons in this chapter. Having different options will allow you to make studying this chapter personal for you. The resources in this chapter can also be accessed as many times as you need to use them. You can move forward only when you feel you are ready to.
1. Quantitative vs. Qualitative Research
In this lesson, we identify the differences between quantitative and qualitative research methods in the social sciences. We also discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each approach.
2. How to Answer a Question with a Research Project
You have been given a question and your assignment is to answer it with a research project. But, where do you begin? What should you do first? This video lesson will respond to those queries in order to help you answer a question with a research project.
3. Assessing the Reliability and Validity of Sources
In the business world, any research material must have support that can provide validity and reliability. The support must be credible and have documentation to show that it is well-researched, professional, peer-reviewed and recent.
4. Tips for Locating Research Materials
The process of preparing a research paper for academic or employment purposes can be a difficult task. There are some basic tips for how to locate research materials such as online, books, periodicals, etc.
5. Primary & Secondary Research: Definition, Differences & Methods
Differentiating between different types of research articles is useful when looking at what has already been done. In this lesson, we explore some of the different types of research articles out there and when they would be used.
6. Using Search Engines for Online Research
The Internet can be a resource that saves you time, but if you don't know how to use it properly, it can be a frustrating experience. In this lesson, you will learn about how to properly find supporting materials online with research tips and tricks.
7. Summarizing Categorical Data using Tables
Watch this video lesson to find out why data tables are an excellent way to summarize your categorical data. Learn what you need to do to your data before constructing a table and the two ways you can show your data.
8. Quoting, Paraphrasing and Summarizing Your Research
Quoting, paraphrasing and summarizing are three important skills to master for writing in the academic and business world. These skills will help support claims and add credibility to your work.
9. Analyzing, Applying, and Drawing Conclusions From Research to Make Recommendations
In this lesson, we'll explore how companies analyze, apply and draw conclusions from research to solve problems. Learn how effective recommendations can help a business survive and thrive.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Literature Types & Genres
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Recognizing Literary Elements
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Organization of Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Poetry
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Point of View in Literature
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Inference & Context in Written Works
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Persuasive Texts
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Informational Texts
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Media Literacy
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Vocabulary & the Meaning of Words
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Figures of Speech
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: The Writing Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Writing Effective Compositions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Using Supporting Evidence
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Citing Sources
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Spelling Rules
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Nouns, Pronouns & Adjectives
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Verbs & Adverbs
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Phrases, Clauses & Modifiers
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Types of Sentences
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 ELA: Grammar Conventions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 - English Language Arts Flashcards