About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Inequalities - Chapter Summary
Watch these short, engaging lesson videos to review the steps used to solve and graph inequalities, systems of inequalities and absolute value inequalities. Each lesson is taught by one of our professional instructors, who is also available to answer any questions you may have about the topics of this chapter. After this chapter you should be better prepared to answer question about:
- Using inequalities when making decisions
- Expressing compound inequalities using set notion and interval notion
- Graphing inequalities with one or two variables
- Solving and graphing inequalities with absolute values
Reinforce your understanding of the lessons by reading the lesson transcripts and then taking the lesson quizzes. The lesson transcripts are written overviews of the lessons that will help you identify the key vocabulary of the chapter. The lesson quizzes are short assessments that will help you identify the topics you don't understand, so that you can return to the parts of the lessons that explained them and improve your understanding of them. After completing the lessons and quizzes in this chapter, be sure to test your understanding of chapter as a whole by completing the practice chapter exams.
ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Inequalities Chapter Objectives
In the state of Indiana, the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress Plus (ISTEP+) Grade 8 - Mathematics exam is used to ensure 8th grade students are learning what they need to in their math classes. Thus schools administer this two-part exam late in the spring semester. These two parts include the applied-skills assessment, administered in March and the multiple-choice assessment, administered in April or May. Of the material covered in these assessments, 22-32% will be about algebra and functions, which may include some questions about inequalities.
1. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
2. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
In this lesson, we'll explore the conditions of compound inequalities and learn how to express them using set notation and interval notation. Test you knowledge afterward with a short quiz.
3. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
4. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
5. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
6. Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems
Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities brings a lot of different skills together in one place. The practice problems in this video will give you a good chance to see more examples of absolute value inequalities but will also test your general algebraic knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 8 - Math: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Operations with Rational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Exponents
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Square Roots
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Scientific Notation
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Linear Equations
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Properties of Functions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Rational Expressions & Functions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Geometric Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Geometric Transformations
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Pythagorean Theorem
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Analyzing Data
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Probability
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Mathematical Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 - Math Flashcards