About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Linear Equations - Chapter Summary
These lessons have been compiled to help you reinforce your understanding of how to complete math problems with linear equations. Use this review to improve your skills analyzing, graphing and writing linear equations, simplifying algebraic equations and solving systems of equations. Each lesson is taught by one of our professional instructors so that you may have an effective way to improve your knowledge of:
- What linear equations and systems of equations are
- Interpreting and graphing linear equations
- Writing linear equations
- Factoring in algebra
- Creating equivalent linear expressions
- Simplifying algebraic expressions
- Using systems of equations
- Solving linear systems with two or three variables
If you have access to a mobile device, you can watch these lessons on it as well as watching them on a computer. After each lesson video fortify your retention of the information by reading the lesson transcripts. Then take the lesson quizzes to determine topics you still may need to review. When reviewing these topics, use the video tags to jump to and re-review the locations of the lessons that discussed them.
ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Linear Equations Objectives
This spring your school will ask you to complete the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress Plus (ISTEP+) Grade 8 - Mathematics exam so that they can assess how much you learned from your 8th grade math class. Complete these lessons to review linear equations and prepare for the 22-32% of the questions that will assess your understanding of algebra and functions.
1. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
2. Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing
Do you know what to do if an equation doesn't look like y=mx+b?! If not, then this video is for you. Chances are the equation is in standard form, so we'll learn how to use standard form equations, how to graph them and why they can be helpful.
3. Abstract Algebraic Examples and Going from a Graph to a Rule
Just because you now know what a linear equation is doesn't mean that you are a master! This video will help you learn how to apply your knowledge of linear equations in more abstract algebraic ways.
4. Graphing Undefined Slope, Zero Slope and More
There are two special cases when it comes to slopes on the xy plane: horizontal and vertical lines. Without any more information, these examples can be pretty confusing. But with a little instruction, they end up being some of the easiest lines to graph!
5. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
6. What is Factoring in Algebra? - Definition & Example
Factoring with ordinary numbers involves knowing that 6 is the product of 2 and 3. But what about factoring in algebra? In this lesson, we'll learn the essential elements of algebra factoring.
7. Equivalent Linear Expressions
We use algebraic expressions to represent real world phenomena all the time. In this lesson, we will look at equivalent linear expressions and explore how to identify and create these types of expressions.
8. Collecting Like Terms On One Side of an Equation
When you are using algebra to solve your problems, one of your biggest and most often used methods is that of collecting like terms. Watch this video lesson to see how it is done.
9. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
10. What is a System of Equations?
So what happens if we want to compare more than one equation? Welcome to a 'system' of equations! Learn what one is, how to solve them and when they come up in real life.
11. How Do I Use a System of Equations?
There are a few classic algebra word problems, such as the one about two trains traveling at different speeds. In this lesson, you'll learn how to take a word problem and convert it into the system of equations that will allow you to find the answer using either substitution or elimination.
12. How to Solve a System of Linear Equations in Two Variables
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve a system of linear equations in two variables by using the substitution method. Learn how easy it is to use on any linear system in two variables.
13. How to Solve a Linear System in Three Variables With a Solution
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve a linear system in three variables using the elimination method. Learn the simple operations that are needed to solve your system.
14. How to Solve a Linear System in Three Variables With No or Infinite Solutions
In this video lesson, you will learn to recognize when a linear system has no solution or an infinite number of solutions. You will also learn how to go about solving each of these types of systems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 8 - Math: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Operations with Rational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Exponents
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Square Roots
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Scientific Notation
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Inequalities
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Properties of Functions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Rational Expressions & Functions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Geometric Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Geometric Transformations
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Pythagorean Theorem
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Analyzing Data
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Probability
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Mathematical Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 - Math Flashcards