About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Scientific Notation - Chapter Summary
In this series of lesson videos, our expert instructors will help you improve your understanding of scientific notation and how to use it. These lessons are mobile device compatible, so if you have access to a mobile device you have a portable way to study:
- The concept of scientific notation
- Steps in converting between standard and scientific notation
- How to read scientific notations on different devices
In addition to watching these lessons, you can reinforce your retention of the information presented in them by reading the lesson transcripts. Then test your understanding of the material by completing the lesson quizzes. Use the results from these assessments to discover the topics you don't know, and use the video tags to return to the parts of the lessons that explained them.
ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Scientific Notation Objectives
You will take the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress Plus (ISTEP+) Grade 8 Mathematics exam to demonstrate what you have learned from your math class. It is a two part exam. The first part is an applied-skills assessment administered in March. The second part is a multiple-choice assessment administered in April or May. Twelve to twenty-two percent of the material in this exam will measure your knowledge of number sense and computation. The objective of this chapter is to help you prepare for questions that ask you about scientific notation.
1. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
2. Converting Numbers to Scientific Notation
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert any number you come across into scientific notation. You will also learn why scientific notation is used and where you are most likely to see it.
3. Scientific Notation Generated by Technology: Analysis & Examples
Scientific notation is a way to deal with very large or small numbers. In this lesson, we will go through how to enter scientific notation into various computer-based technology, and how to interpret scientific notation values generated by technology.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 8 - Math: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Operations with Rational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Exponents
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Square Roots
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Linear Equations
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Inequalities
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Properties of Functions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Rational Expressions & Functions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Geometric Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Geometric Transformations
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Pythagorean Theorem
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Analyzing Data
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Probability
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Mathematical Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 - Math Flashcards