About This Chapter
ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Square Roots - Chapter Summary
Watch the lessons and complete the assessments in this chapter to prepare for questions about square roots on the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress Plus (ISTEP+) Grade 8 Mathematics exam. Each lesson video is mobile device compatible and taught by one of our expert instructors so that you will have an effective and versatile way to review:
- The steps used to find the square root of a number
- How to estimate square roots
- Processes of simplifying square roots when not a perfect square
- Simplifying expressions with square roots in them
- Formula and definition of perfect squares
- How to evaluate perfect squares
- The quotient rule and how it's used to simplify square roots
- Solutions represented using the square root symbol
To reinforce your understanding of the material in this chapter, read the lesson transcripts that accompany the lesson videos. Then test your understanding of the material by completing the lesson quizzes. Use the results from these quizzes to determine what topics you don't understand and return to the parts of the lessons that explained them with the video tags from the quiz results.
ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Square Roots Chapter Objectives
Public schools in the state of Indiana administer the ISTEP+ Grade 8 Mathematics exam to assess how well students learned in their 8th grade mathematics class. This assessment is administered in two tests at different times in the spring. The applied-skills assessment is the first of these tests, administered sometime in March, and the second is a multiple-choice assessment, administered in April or May. Together these tests include a series of essay, open-ended and multiple-choice questions. Expect 12-22% of this exam to assess your understanding of number sense and computation, including some questions regarding square roots.
1. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
2. Estimating Square Roots
Inverse operations are mathematical operations that undo each other. The square root is the inverse of the squared (or multiplying a number by itself) operation. There is an easy method for estimating the square root of a number, which you will learn in this lesson.
3. Simplifying Square Roots When not a Perfect Square
Numbers that are imperfect squares are those that, when evaluated, do not give solutions that are integers. The proper mathematical way to simplify these imperfect squares is discussed in this lesson.
4. Simplifying Expressions Containing Square Roots
In order to write radical expressions correctly, they have to be written in their simplest form. This lesson will show you how to simplify expressions containing numbers and variables inside a square root.
5. Perfect Square: Definition, Formula & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what perfect squares are and view a few examples of them. You'll also discover the formula for creating perfect squares. Then, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
6. Evaluating Square Roots of Perfect Squares
Squares and square roots are inverse, or opposite, operations involving radicals. Learn how to determine the square root of perfect squares in this lesson.
7. Simplify Square Roots of Quotients
The quotient rule can be used to simplify square roots of quotients. This lesson will define the quotient rule and show you how it is used to simplify square roots.
8. Using Square Root Symbols to Show Solutions to Rational Equations
This lesson is about using square root symbols to show solutions to rational equations. We will learn about the difference between positive and negative square roots, radical expressions, and how to evaluate them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISTEP+ Grade 8 - Math: Test Prep & Practice course
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Rational & Irrational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Operations with Rational Numbers
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Exponents
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Scientific Notation
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Linear Equations
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Inequalities
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Properties of Functions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Rational Expressions & Functions
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Geometric Figures
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Geometric Transformations
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Pythagorean Theorem
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Analyzing Data
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Probability
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 Math: Mathematical Process
- ISTEP+ Grade 8 - Math Flashcards