About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering Volume 1 chapter summaries of Jane Eyre will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to understand the key components of each Volume 1 chapter for this novel. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing what happens in the chapters of Volume 1 of Jane Eyre
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual and auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Jane Eyre Volume 1 Chapter Summaries chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only the information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Jane Eyre Volume 1 Chapter Summaries chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the specific events that occurred in each chapter of Volume 1 of Jane Eyre for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Analysis of the key events from chapters 1-15
- Examination of the development of character relationships from chapter to chapter
- Exploration of reoccurring themes in each chapter
1. Jane Eyre Chapter 1 Summary
This lesson presents an overview of the first chapter of Charlotte Bronte's ''Jane Eyre,'' a Victorian novel that alarmed its contemporary critics, but has enduringly delighted readers.
2. Jane Eyre Chapter 2 Summary
This lesson provides an overview of the events and characters in the second chapter of ''Jane Eyre.'' We will learn how Jane came to live with the Reeds and we will find out what the deal is with the dreaded 'red-room.'
3. Jane Eyre Chapter 3 Summary
This lesson provides an overview of the third chapter of Charlotte Bronte's ''Jane Eyre.'' We will learn how far-reaching the consequences of the events in the red-room might be.
4. Jane Eyre Chapter 4 Summary
In the fourth chapter of Charlotte Bronte's ''Jane Eyre'', we see Jane further developing her ability to speak in her own defense, and we gain a glimpse of where the next chapters of her life--and of this book--will lead.
5. Jane Eyre Chapter 5 Summary
In this, the fifth chapter of Charlotte Bronte's ''Jane Eyre,'' we see Jane finally on her way to school. This lesson provides an overview of the chapter, which marks the beginning of Jane's new life at Lowood.
6. Jane Eyre Chapter 6 Summary
This lesson provides an overview of the 6th chapter of Charlotte Bronte's ''Jane Eyre,'' in which we learn more about the girl Jane has befriended and more about life at Lowood Institute.
7. Jane Eyre Chapter 7 Summary
The seventh chapter of ''Jane Eyre'', written by Charlotte Bronte, tells us more about life at Lowood Institution and all the girls there have to endure. Jane faces new trials, and finds small comforts.
8. Jane Eyre Chapter 8 Summary
In an overview of the 8th chapter of ''Jane Eyre,'' discover if Jane is able to recover from the public scolding she received in the previous chapter, or if she is doomed to endure the same cruelties at Lowood that she knew at Gateshead.
9. Jane Eyre Chapter 9 Summary
This lesson provides an overview of the ninth chapter of ''Jane Eyre,'' in which there are major changes for Jane and the girls at Lowood. The loveliness of spring provides a contrast to the bleak realities at Lowood.
10. Jane Eyre Chapter 10 Summary
While the previous nine chapters of ''Jane Eyre'' covered only a small space of time, the tenth chapter makes quick work of the eight years following the typhus outbreak. During this time, Jane sets a course for change in her life.
11. Jane Eyre Chapter 11 Summary
This lesson provides an overview of chapter 11 of ''Jane Eyre,'' in which Jane arrives at Thornfield Hall to begin her new position as governess there.
12. Jane Eyre Chapter 12 Summary
The 12th chapter of ''Jane Eyre'' spans the first several months of Jane's position as governess at Thornfield Hall. She is happy, but she is a little bored. Thankfully, the end of the chapter brings a change for Jane.
13. Jane Eyre Chapter 13 Summary
This lesson provides an overview of chapter 13 of ''Jane Eyre,'' in which we see what Thornfield Hall is like with Mr. Rochester at home, and we see Jane meet him for the first time.
14. Jane Eyre Chapter 14 Summary
This lesson provides an overview of the 14th chapter of ''Jane Eyre,'' in which we learn more about Mr. Rochester and his relationship to Jane's pupil Adele. We also see more evidence of Jane's strong character and assertiveness.
15. Jane Eyre Chapter 15 Summary
This lesson will provide a summary of Chapter 15 of ''Jane Eyre.'' In this chapter, we find out more about Mr. Rochester's past and his connection to Adele. Things heat up at the end of the chapter as the story's plot takes a major turn.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.