About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering Java programming terminology will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn Java programming terminology. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding Java programming terminology for fields, properties and methods
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about computer programming (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about Java programming terminology
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra information systems learning resources
How It Works:
- Find lessons in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Watch the video or read through the text lesson.
- Refer to the transcripts or specific lesson sections to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Java Programming Terminology chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Java Programming Terminology chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any Java question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos and read text lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a Java programming terminology unit of a standard information systems course. Topics include:
- Types of Java fields and constants
- Comparison of Java variables and Java fields
- Java fields and properties
- The differences between Java fields and Java methods
- Definitions of static classes and Java integers
- The parseInt and valueOf methods
- Java integer division
- Rounding to one and two decimal places in Java
- Converting float to int and string to int
- Constructor vs. static blocks in Java
- Exceptions to static blocks
- Java classes and objects
- Differences between instance and object
- Examples of Java verargs
- Global variables in Java
- If statements with integers
- The concept of Java string constant pools
1. Java Fields: Types & Examples
In this lesson, we will be examining the different types of data fields used in Java. We will look at examples to better illustrate and understand their characteristics.
2. Java Fields vs. Java Variables
In this lesson, we'll take a look at the programming language Java and compare Jave variables and Java fields and discuss why you would use one over the other. At the end, you should have a good understanding of these important Java concepts.
3. Java: Fields vs. Properties
In this lesson, we will take a look at Java and define Java fields and properties. We'll then show why you might use one over the other. At the end, you should have a good understanding of these important concepts.
4. Java Fields vs. Java Methods
There is a difference between a field and a method in Java, although they are both key components of Java classes. This lesson will cover the features and differences of both, providing working code examples.
5. Static Class in Java: Definition & Examples
Java lets you create classes within classes. These static nested classes have unique features that will be discussed within this lesson. Working code examples are provided.
6. How to Convert String to Int in Java - ParseInt Method
Java allows for many types of data type conversion. This lesson describes how to convert a String variable into an integer value using the ParseInt method in Java. Working code samples are provided.
7. How to Convert Int to String in Java - ValueOf Method
This lesson covers an important tool in the Java toolbox, converting integer values to a String data type. The valueOf method will be used and working code examples provided as we explore this feature.
8. Integer Division in Java: Rounding & Truncation
When dividing integers in Java, the results may not always be as expected. This lesson will use code examples to explain how Java handles division of integers as well as how numbers are rounded and truncated.
9. How to Round to 2 Decimal Places in Java
Java can store some fairly big numbers. This precision is welcomed by many, but not always for the end user. This lesson will show you how to round to two decimal places using working code.
10. Round to One Decimal Place in Java
In this lesson, we'll take a look at rounding in Java, specifically how you can round to one decimal place. At the end, you should have a good understanding of these important tools and techniques.
11. How to Convert Float to Int in Java
Java allows you to convert variables from one variable type to another. This lesson will show you how to convert a float data type to an integer. Code examples will be provided.
12. Java Integer: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll take a look at integers in Java and give some examples of integers and the code for them. At the end, you should have a good understanding of this fundamental concept.
13. Static Block vs. Constructor in Java
This lesson will discuss the features of static blocks and constructors in Java. Working code examples will be provided to highlight each of these lines of code.
14. Static Blocks in Java: Exception & Examples
In this lesson, we'll take a look at a block in Java, explain a static block and show some examples. We will then learn what about exceptions and whether you can have a static block exception.
15. Class vs. Object in Java
In this lesson, we'll take a look at Java, define classes and objects in Java, and explain some differences between the two. At the end, you should have a good understanding of these important Java ideas.
16. Difference Between Object & Instance in Java
In this lesson, we'll take a look at Java, what an object is in Java, what an instance is in Java, and how these two differ. At the end, you should have a good understanding of these important concepts.
17. Java Varargs: Use & Examples
Sometimes we don't know how many arguments we'll be sending a given method. This lesson will cover the Java varargs concept and provide working code examples for passing varying arguments.
18. Java Global Variable: Declaration & Examples
Unlike C/C++, there is not a true global variable in Java. However, we can get close. This lesson will show you how to declare semi-global variables in Java using working code examples.
19. Java If Statement with Integers
This lesson will teach you how to implement the Java if-statement with integers. We will look at a particular example of coding a program to calculate the price of a cake based on its size and ingredients.
20. Java String Constant Pool: Concept & Mechanism
When strings or String objects are created in Java, Java makes use of a pool in memory. This lesson will discuss how this pool works and how strings are handled.
21. Java Constants: Definition, Declaration & Types
In this lesson, we'll take a look at Java, what it is, what a computer programming constant is, how we declare them in Java, and the types of constants available in Java.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Information Systems: Help and Review course
- Introduction to Computers: Help and Review
- Information Systems in Organizations: Help and Review
- Hardware and Systems Technology: Help and Review
- Systems Software and Application Software: Help and Review
- Internet, Intranet, and Extranet: Help and Review
- Network Systems Technology: Help and Review
- Remote Connections: Help and Review
- Enterprise Business Systems: Help and Review
- Decision Support & Specialized Information Systems: Help & Review
- Systems Development: Help and Review
- Data Management: Help and Review
- Ethical, Social & Business Issues in IT: Help & Review
- Introduction to Programming: Help and Review
- Learning Computer Science
- Business, Social & Ethical Implications & Issues: Help & Review
- Working with Java
- Java Programming Overview
- Java Programming Problems