About This Chapter
Jewish & Christian Art in Late Antiquity - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find lessons on Christian and Jewish art from the late antiquity. At your own pace, work through lessons on symbolism in early Christian art, the Dura-Europos Synagogue and the characteristics of early Christian architecture, among other topics. We've included a quiz with each of the lessons and a test at the end of the chapter that make excellent test prep exercises. If you have questions, feel free to submit them to our subject matter experts through the Dashboard. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Define late antiquity and give an overview of this period
- Detail the history of Jewish art from the late antiquity era
- Outline the features of the Dura-Europos Synagogue
- Discuss the characteristics and symbolism of early Christian art
- Identify important works of early Christian art
- Give examples of early Christian architecture
- Define the narthex and provide an overview of it's use in early Christian churches
- Detail the function and ornamentation of early Christian catacombs
1. Late Antiquity: Definition, Overview & Art
Late Antiquity was a time of transition, changing political climates, and shifting tastes in standards of society. This lesson will present an overview this time period, also sometimes known as the Dark Ages, and discuss how art changed during this time.
2. Jewish Art in Late Antiquity: History & Overview
In this lesson, explore the Jewish Art produced during the Roman occupation of Israel in Late Antiquity. Learn about the different visual arts that Jewish groups developed during this period and discover how religion influenced them.
3. Dura-Europos Synagogue: Features & Preservation
It's been called the Pompeii of the East. In this lesson, we'll explore the site of Dura-Europos and its famous synagogue, and see what it tells us about ancient Jewish societies.
4. Early Christian Art: History, Characteristics & Symbolism
This lesson covers the development of early Christian art. We begin in the catacombs of Rome, looking at early Christian frescoes. We then move to later sarcophagi. A brief survey of early Christian mosaics follows, and we close with the fine art of illuminated manuscripts.
5. Important Works of Early Christian Art
In this lesson, we will explore a few of the most famous and important works of early Christian art. We will pay special attention to the catacomb frescoes, the sarcophagus of Junius Bassus, and the artwork of famous basilicas.
6. Early Christian Architecture: Examples, History & Characteristics
Christianity managed to exist for hundreds of years before becoming the official religion of Rome. In this lesson, we'll take a look at the early architecture of the Christian church.
7. Narthex: Definition & Overview
Study the history and design of the architectural feature of early churches called the Narthex. Then, test your understanding about early church design and religious culture.
8. Early Christian Catacombs: Organization, Function & Ornamentation
In this lesson, we will explore the early Christian catacombs. We'll study their creation, organization, and primary functions, and we'll take a look at how early Christians filled them with works of art.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Art 103: History of Western Art I course
- Understanding the Study of Western Art
- Visual Art During the Prehistoric Era: Paleolithic & Neolithic
- Art in Mesopotamia
- Art in Ancient Egypt
- Art in Aegean Culture & Ancient Greece
- Ancient Roman Architecture, Sculpture & Mosaics
- Art & Religion in the Byzantine Empire
- Art in the Islamic World
- Art During the Early Middle Ages in Europe
- Romanesque Art During the Middle Ages in Europe
- Gothic Art During the Middle Ages in Europe
- Studying for Art 103