About This Chapter
Juvenile Corrections Overview - Chapter Summary
Get an overview of the juvenile corrections system with this series of lessons and quizzes. As you follow along with our expert instructors, you'll examine types of juvenile correctional treatments and the methods that are designed to prevent juvenile delinquency. You'll also study juvenile correction alternatives, institutional corrections and probation rules. Study whenever it's convenient and take the included self-assessment quizzes to make sure you fully grasp these juvenile corrections terms and concepts. You can submit questions to our instructors and revisit the lessons as many times as needed. Upon completion of the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals of juvenile correctional treatment
- Evaluate the benefits of juvenile correction alternatives
- Recognize institutional corrections for juvenile delinquents
- Define the concepts of probation and restorative justice
- Assess the functions of halfway houses and youth aftercare/reentry programs
- Explain juvenile delinquency prevention theories and methods
- Summarize the history of the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP)
1. Correctional Treatment for Juveniles
Correctional treatment for juveniles includes individual techniques and group techniques. These techniques are used in a variety of programs such as wilderness, recreational, vocational, educational, and boot camp programs.
2. Types & Benefits of Juvenile Correction Alternatives
In this lesson, we will learn about the types and benefits of juvenile correction alternatives. We will learn what these alternatives are and what the benefits are to options other than incarceration.
3. Institutional Corrections for Juvenile Delinquents
Is sending a juvenile to prison always the best idea? This lesson will look at the different types of correctional facilities designed for juveniles and explore how the juvenile justice system became separate from the adult system.
4. What Is Probation? - Definition, Rules & Types
Learn what constitutes probation in this lesson. First, review the definition of probation and then examine its rules. Finally, analyze the different types of probation and review the features of each one.
5. What Is a Halfway House? - Definition, Rules & Statistics
This lesson will provide the definition of a halfway house. The lesson will also discuss the rules and statistics about halfway houses. There will be a quiz following the lesson.
6. What is Restorative Justice? - Definition, Examples & Process
In this lesson, you will review and consider the basic assumptions of restorative justice approaches and processes in the American criminal justice system.
7. Youth Aftercare & Reentry: Definition, Programs & Supervision
No matter how long they spend in a correctional facility, juveniles are likely to return to criminal activity once released. To stop the cycle of offending, aftercare and reentry programs make an effort to provide ongoing support.
8. Office of Juvenile Justice & Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP): History, Role & Purpose
The Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, or OJJDP, is a justice program that focuses on preventing juvenile delinquency and victimization. This lesson explains the roles and history of OJJDP.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Juvenile Delinquency: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Nature & Extent of Delinquency
- Individual Theories of Delinquency
- Sociological Theories of Delinquency
- Developmental Theories of Delinquency
- Gender & Family Influences on Delinquency
- Child Abuse, Neglect & Delinquency
- Peer & Media Influences on Delinquency
- School Influences on Delinquency
- Drug Use Among Juveniles
- Juvenile Policing
- Juvenile Justice System Overview
- UExcel Juvenile Delinquency Flashcards