About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Kinetics chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Rates of Chemical Reactions: Modifying Factors and Temperature||Factors that impact rates of chemical reactions, with an emphasis on temperature|
|Tuesday||Rate Constants and Laws|
Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Effect of Temperature
| Definitions of the rate and equilibrium constants; overview of the rate laws and relationships between rate constants during reactions|
How temperature impacts the rate of a chemical reaction
|Wednesday||Activation Energy and Catalysts||Explanation of activation energy, relationship between activation and reactions energy and impact of catalysts on activation energy|
|Thursday||Reaction Mechanisms and the Rate Determining Step||Definition of a reaction mechanism; directions for writing rate law using the rate determining step|
|Friday||Collision Theory: Definition and Significance|
Chemical Kinetics, Reaction Rate Constant and Equilibrium Constant
|Use of collision theory to explain how and why chemical reactions occur at particular rates|
How rate constants for forward and reverse directions of a reaction are related to the equilibrium of constant of that reaction
1. Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Modifying Factors
Why are some reactions much faster than others? Is it possible to change how fast a reaction occurs? In this lesson, you will learn what the rate of a chemical reaction is. You will also discover how factors such as temperature, concentration, surface area, and catalysts impact reaction rates.
2. Rate Constant and Rate Laws
Learn what the rate law is and how the rate constant relates to it. Learn what reaction order is and how to determine reaction order when given experimental data containing concentration and reaction rate.
3. Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Effect of Temperature
Learn how temperature affects reaction rates. Discover the rate law as well as how the Arrhenius equation relates to the rate law and predicts the effect of temperature on the rate of reaction.
4. Collision Theory: Definition & Significance
This lesson will define and explain collision theory and explore how it is related to chemical reactions and reaction rates. So if you've ever wondered how two particles combine to form a new product, read on!
5. Activation Energy and Catalysts
Learn how to define activation energy and how it relates to a reaction's energy. Learn what an activated complex is and where it fits into an activation energy diagram. Discover how a catalyst works to change the activation energy of a reaction and what this means to metabolism in the body.
6. Reaction Mechanisms and The Rate Determining Step
This lesson explores what a reaction mechanism is and how it relates to the speed of a reaction. You'll discover how to pinpoint the rate-determining step and learn how to write a rate law based on the rate-determining step.
7. Chemical Kinetics, Reaction Rate Constant & Equilibrium Constant
Are formulas, rate constants, and chemical reactions getting you down? Don't worry, this lesson will explain how reaction rate and equilibrium constants are related to chemical reactions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Chemistry Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Experimental Laboratory Chemistry: AP Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Properties of Matter: AP Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Atomic Structure: AP Chemistry Lesson Plans
- The Periodic Table of Elements: AP Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Nuclear Chemistry: AP Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Bonding: AP Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Phase Changes for Liquids & Solids: AP Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Gases: AP Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Solutions: AP Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Stoichiometry & Chemical Equations: AP Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Acids, Bases & Chemical Reactions: AP Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Equilibrium: AP Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Thermodynamics: AP Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Organic Chemistry: AP Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Portions of the AP Chemistry Exam: Lesson Plans