About This Chapter
Kingdom Monera, Protista & Fungi - Chapter Summary
Included in this chapter on Kingdom Monera, Protista and Fungi is a discussion on the characteristics of bacteria. You will also learn interesting facts about protozoa, including how they eat. After completing the chapter, you should be able to:
- Provide examples of bacterial species
- Distinguish the difference between Gram positive and negative bacteria
- Explain the economic importance of bacteria in society
- List primary characteristics of Archaea
- Recall historical facts about viruses
- Discuss the requirements to enter Kingdom Protista
- Provide examples of dinoflagellates
- Recount different groups of fungi
Our subject-matter experts teach the information in these lessons using methods that make the material easy to understand. A full written transcript accompanies each video just in case you are partial to text-based learning. A brief quiz is available for each lesson to test your knowledge of Kingdom Monera, Protista and Fungi.
1. What is Bacteria? - Definition, Characteristics & Examples
This lesson will introduce the Bacteria, a large and diverse group of microorganisms. We will examine several key characteristics, as well as a few commonly known examples of bacterial species.
2. Difference Between Gram Positive & Negative Bacteria
If you've ever had a bacterial infection, your doctor probably did a Gram stain to help figure out which kind of bacteria it is. This a common technique used by many labs and hospitals to identify and help combat a bacterial infection.
3. Economic Importance of Bacteria in Society
Bigger isn't always better! Today, we're going to reveal how some of the tiniest living things on Earth contribute to our economic success. By the end of this lesson you'll understand the economic importance of bacteria in our everyday lives.
4. Archaea: Definition, Characteristics & Examples
There is an entire domain of life that is made up of single-celled organisms without nuclei. We're not referring to the Bacteria domain, however. In this lesson, we will examine the main characteristics of the least commonly known domain, the Archaea.
5. What Are Viruses? - Definition, Structure & Function
In this lesson, you'll learn some historical facts about viruses and the material they are composed of. Find out more as we review the capsid, nucleic acids, the viral envelope, viruses, virions, bacteriophages and virology.
6. Kingdom Protista: Definition, Characteristics & Examples
Learn about the requirements to enter Kingdom Protista, one of the five kingdoms of life. Discover and read about the organisms that can be found there.
7. Dinoflagellates: Characteristics, Examples & Classification
Did you know that there are tiny living organisms floating at the surface of most freshwater and saltwater bodies? Many of these organisms are dinoflagellates. In this lesson, we will investigate dinoflagellates to gain a better understanding of them.
8. Protozoa: Types & Reproduction
Have you ever heard of a protozoa? In this lesson, you will learn some interesting facts about protozoa. You will learn how they move and eat, and importantly, how they reproduce.
9. The Diversity of Fungi
The Fungi Kingdom is unique and quite diverse. In this video lesson, you'll learn about the different groups of fungi and see how fungi are much more than just mushrooms and molds!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISC Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Classification & Diversity of Life
- Classification in the Animal Kingdom
- Overview of Vertebrates
- Classification in the Plant Kingdom
- Plant Physiology: Growth & Nutrition
- Plant Tissue: Structure & Function
- Absorption & Movement of Water in Plants
- Plant Morphology
- Reproduction of Flowering Plants
- Mechanisms of Photosynthesis
- Mechanisms of Cellular Respiration
- Cell Structure Overview
- Cell Membrane Basics
- DNA Basics
- Recombinant DNA & Its Applications
- Overview of Basic Genetic Principles
- Chromosomes & Genetics
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Overview of Biomolecules
- Enzyme Mechanisms
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Nutrition & the Digestive System
- Human Respiratory System Overview
- Basics of the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Overview
- Endocrine System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- The Musculoskeletal System
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Human Disease & Defense
- Origin & Evolution of Life
- Overview of Ecosystems
- Community Ecology Overview
- Overview of Biodiversity
- Environmental Biology Overview
- Biological Applications in Agriculture
- ISC Biology Flashcards