About This Chapter
Kitchen & Food Safety Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
This informative chapter offers access to teacher resources you can use to ensure your kitchen and food safety curriculum and lesson planning processes are efficient and effective. Benefit from instructional methods, activity/game ideas, vocabulary words and other resources designed to help you enhance students' comprehension of life skills like:
- Food safety and summer food safety
- Cooking safety
- Sanitation in the kitchen
- Kitchen safety and kitchen fire safety
- Knife safety
- Food poisoning
The lesson plans in this chapter are accompanied by companion lessons and short quizzes you can share with students to strengthen and assess their knowledge of kitchen and food safety. Enjoy 24/7 mobile and computer access to this chapter, which allows you to utilize our teacher resources before, during or after class.
How It Helps
- Education standards: Shares curriculum standards you can use to ensure your lessons align with education requirements for kitchen and food safety.
- Homework or classwork suggestions: Provides suggestions for homework or class assignments you can give to your students.
- Student engagement: Includes activity, game and discussion ideas you can use to encourage student participation and increase classroom engagement.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan resources with relevant tools to make planning kitchen and food safety lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific kitchen and food safety topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your kitchen and food safety class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related kitchen and food safety lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important kitchen and food safety concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant kitchen and food safety-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Cooking Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students the basic terms used when cooking as well as techniques used by both everyday and master chefs. Students then apply learning in a fun way.
2. Life Skills Cooking Class Ideas
Teaching students how to cook is one of the best things you can do to prepare them for independent living. This lesson offers ideas that will get your life skills students going in the kitchen!
3. Food Safety Lesson Plan
Anyone who has ever had food poisoning can tell you that it is a miserable experience. With this lesson plan, you will present to students a short video on food safety then take on the role of investigators to learn more about food-borne illnesses and what they can do to prevent it.
4. Basic Cooking Terms & Techniques
In this lesson, we'll explore basic cooking terms. Knowing a variety of common cooking tools and techniques will open up a world of culinary delight. Read on to learn more now.
5. Food Safety: Definition & Guidelines
Improper food preparation can cause you to fall ill as a result of various dangerous microorganisms. In this lesson, you'll learn how to properly prepare your food.
6. Food Safety Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Help students navigate food safety and hygiene with help from this lesson plan. Students will read a text lesson, then do a hands-on activity and make a personal food safety plan. A quiz is included to test student understanding.
7. Meat Cookery Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, your students are going to use a set of scientific experiments to test the impact of cooking on meat safety and bacterial growth.
8. Baking Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Baking is a practical and motivating activity that has excellent teaching potential. This baking lesson includes using text features to locate desired information, reading and synthesizing information, and practicing mental addition and subtraction.
9. Making Popcorn Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about experiments and making hypotheses. Students will make popcorn while creating hypotheses on how corn can be impacted by changing the process, and will test their hypotheses with experiments.
10. Summer Food Safety Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, your students are going to explore issues of food safety unique to summer time. They will test this using scientific experiments for bacterial growth.
11. Grocery Shopping Lesson Plan
Although students may already be familiar with the grocery shopping experience from shopping with their parents, this lesson offers a way for students to understand the store's layout and what is involved with those trips to the store.
12. Cooking Safety Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Safety is essential for young chefs. This lesson plan uses a text lesson to explain key facts about cooking safety and an activity gives students practice with cooking safety.
13. Kitchen Safety Lesson Plan
We all want our students to be safe, both in and out of the classroom. This lesson plan uses a text lesson to explain kitchen safety to students, provides discussion questions and a quiz, and applies information to a fun activity to make learning stick.
14. Kitchen Safety Lesson for Kids: Rules & Tips
Cooking can be so much fun and the reward is feasting on something yummy! In this lesson, learn how to stay safe in the kitchen by following cooking rules and tips.
15. Sanitation in the Kitchen Lesson Plan
Wonderful food is created in kitchens everywhere, but we have to be safe in the kitchen. Your students will learn about kitchen sanitation and safety as they read an interesting text lesson and create signs for their kitchens.
16. Kitchen Sanitation & Safety
This lesson first describes the reasons why you should keep sanitary conditions in the kitchen and then how you can achieve that. It then goes over important safety considerations having to do with the kitchen.
17. Kitchen Fire Safety Lesson Plan
The kitchen can be a place for creativity in cooking or the start of a disastrous fire. Your students will learn kitchen fire safety tips as they read and discuss the tips and create a kitchen fire safety plan for their families.
18. Food Poisoning Lesson Plan for Elementary School
What is food poisoning, what happens when we get it, and how can we avoid it? Help your students ask and answer these and other questions with help from this text-based lesson plan that includes activities, a project, and a quiz.
19. Knife Safety Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan as a way to get your students talking about knife safety. They will read about knife safety in an informational text and then use what they have learned to create a unique invention.
20. Knife Safety: Tips & Rules
This lesson goes over some very important knife safety tips and rules. You'll learn how you should work with and around knives and, just as importantly, what you should avoid doing.
21. Pocket Knife Safety: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you'll learn the parts of a pocket knife and some safety rules so that you can use your pocket knife without hurting yourself or those around you.
22. Food Poisoning Lesson Plan
With over 42,000 salmonella cases a year, the prevention of salmonella poisoning is a serious public health concern. This lesson will allow students to learn about salmonella and use their knowledge to create a public service message about salmonella and preventing exposure.
23. Culinary Arts Lesson Plan
The field of culinary arts is rich with opportunity. This lesson plan explores the many nuances of this arena using a fact-based text lesson. An activity highlights the elements of organization and production in regard to the culinary arts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Life Skills: Lesson Plans & Activities course
- Technology Lesson Plans
- Computer Skills Lesson Plans & Resources
- Transportation Projects & Stories for Kids
- Safety Lesson Plans
- Career Prep Lesson Plans
- Personal Money Management Lesson Plans
- Teaching Life Skills Lesson Plans & Resources
- Outdoor Safety Lesson Plans
- Injuries & First Aid Lesson Plans
- Dealing with Violence & Abuse Lesson Plans
- Social Media & Internet Safety Lesson Plans