About This Chapter
Labor-Management Relations - Chapter Summary
Explore the relationship between labor and management in this chapter, which introduces you to some common issues that affect this relationship and identifies essential employment laws related to equal employment opportunity and workplace diversity. Our experienced instructors will provide an in-depth study of the Pregnancy Discrimination Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, including lessons on who these laws are designed to protect and how they offer protection. After watching the videos in this chapter, you'll be familiar with:
- Labor-management conflict resolution methods
- Grievances, arbitration and other labor-management conflicts
- Types and examples of employment law
- Regulations governing the ADA and PDA
- Human resource management regulations
Learning about labor-management relations is easy and fun with these flexible and captivating video lessons. Each lesson features a self-assessment quiz and lesson transcript, so you can check your understanding of the material or review key terms and definitions. Transcripts are also useful if you prefer to read along with the video. Graphics and animations are used throughout the videos, helping you to quickly retain vital info. You can re-watch the videos as often as you want or use the video tags to go back to main points of the video. Wrap up your study of labor-management relations with a chapter exam.
1. Tactics for Resolving Labor-Management Conflicts
Good labor-management relations are a key component to successful business practice. Conflicts can happen and can be destructive. In this lesson, you'll learn about some tactics used for resolving conflicts between labor and management.
2. What is Employment Law? - An Introduction to Employment Law
Employment law is a broad area of the law. In general, this area governs the employer-employee relationship, but includes many subjects. This lesson will define and explain employment law.
3. Equal Employment Opportunity: PDA & Regulations
Female employees play a pivotal role in the success of an organization, but have historically been at a career disadvantage if they decide to bear children. In this lesson, you'll learn about the Pregnancy Discrimination Act, including its protections and key provisions.
4. Equal Employment Opportunity: ADA Law & Regulations
One of the most important employment laws on the books for human resource managers is the Americans with Disabilities Act. In this lesson, you'll learn some of its key provisions and concepts. A short quiz follows.
5. Human Resource Management (HRM): Laws & Regulations
Learn about several laws, regulations, policies and governing entities that human resource management (HRM) must comply with, like the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VII, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), sexual harassment and affirmative action.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Business and Marketing (063): Practice and Study Guide course
- Introduction to Business Management
- Organizational & Group Behaviors in Business Management
- Motivation in Business Management
- Human Resource Management & Development
- Business Ownership
- Laws Related to Business Ownership
- Business Law Basics
- Ethics in Business Today
- Marketing Fundamentals
- Marketing Strategies in Business
- Marketing & International Business
- Accounting Fundamentals
- Accounting & Financial Management
- Business Technology & Information Systems
- Business & Marketing Communications
- Principles of Economics
- Consumer Economics & Personal Finance
- Career & Professional Development in Business
- NYSTCE Business and Marketing Flashcards