About This Chapter
Land Descriptions and Surveys - Chapter Summary
If you work in real estate, or even if you are simply buying or selling a property, it's important to understand the basics of land description and measurement. The lessons in this chapter will help you understand legal descriptions and common terminology when referring to land descriptions. Learn how surveys are done and why they are important to buyers and sellers. You'll master topics such as:
- Deciphering legal descriptions
- Types of surveys
- Survey systems: rectangular, lot and block, and metes and bounds
- The surveyor's toolbox
- Area and acreage calculations
- Reading an ALTA survey
Topics are presented as brief lessons developed by experienced instructors. Work at your convenience and at your own pace. Pause as you are studying and review any or all topics as often as you like. If you have any questions, our real estate experts are available to help. Once you've completed a lesson, take the multiple-choice self-assessment quiz to confirm your understanding of the concept. And remember, you can track your progress through the chapter on your Dashboard!
1. Legal Description of Property: Definition, Importance & Example
The legal description of a property provides a clear and lawful definition of a property's boundaries. We will cover the importance of this document, the essential elements, and the methods surveyors use to create and confirm legal descriptions.
2. What is a Land Survey? - Definition & Types
Surveys are used to identify boundaries and features of land to determine ownership. They are employed in construction projects ranging from building fences to entire cities. In this lesson, you'll learn what a survey is and about the different types of surveys used today.
3. Rectangular Survey System: Definition & Uses
The rectangular survey system is properly and legally known as the Public Land Survey System. This lesson defines how the survey system works and where in the United States it is used.
4. Using the Lot & Block Survey System
This lesson outlines how pieces of real estate are identified using the lot and block survey system. This system provides a means of recognizing additions, subdivisions, and addresses within a plat.
5. Metes & Bounds: Definition & Uses
This lesson will explain the history and description of the metes and bounds system in real estate surveys. By the end of the lesson, you will better understand where and how it's used.
6. Tools Used to Survey Real Property
Some old legal descriptions of property involve chains, links and rods. You'll learn about these ancient surveying tools and how they translate into more conventional and familiar measurements. We'll also look at some of their modern counterparts.
7. How to Calculate & Convert Acreage
Accurate calculation of acreage is an essential skill in describing the physical geography of a plot of land. In this lesson we will look at the formulas for determining the area of a piece of land, and converting that number into different units of meaurement.
8. Land Surveys That Meet ALTA Requirements
Surveys are an important part of many real estate transactions, especially expensive commercial real estate transactions. In this lesson, you'll learn about surveys, including surveys that meet ALTA requirements, and when they are used.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Real Estate Exam Prep course
- Forms of Property Ownership
- Advanced Property Ownership Issues
- Encumbrances in Real Estate
- Advanced Encumbrances in Real Estate
- Land Use Laws, Regulations & Zoning
- Transfer of Real Property
- Advanced Transfer of Real Property
- Fair Housing & Consumer Protection
- Contracts In Real Estate Transactions
- Role of Agencies in Real Estate
- Property Valuation & Appraisal
- Real Estate Investment & Analysis
- Disclosures of Property Conditions
- Real Estate Financing
- Obtaining a Real Estate Loan
- Real Estate Closing & Settlement Procedures
- Leases & Property Management
- Principles of Practicing Real Estate
- Real Estate Ethics & Professional Responsibility
- Real Estate Exam Prep Flashcards