About This Chapter
Land Use Laws, Regulations & Zoning - Chapter Summary
This chapter delves into the ins and outs of land use laws, also exploring the forms of zoning and associated codes. You'll review the ways land use is regulated in both federal and private contexts. Topics discussed include:
- Federal land use and environmental laws
- Differentiating between state and local authority in regulating land use
- Building ordinances and codes
- Private approaches to regulating land use
The practice quizzes accompanying these lessons can help you keep tabs on your understanding as you go along, with a practice final exam at the end of the chapter allowing for a more comprehensive evaluation of your knowledge. And if at any point you get stuck along the way, you can always reach out to our professional instructors for assistance using the teacher or help tab.
1. Federal Land Use Laws & Regulations
The use of real estate is regulated at the federal, state and local levels. In this lesson, we will be focusing on the land use laws and regulations enacted at the federal level of government.
2. State & Local Authority in Regulating Land Use
State and local governments have the legitimate authority to regulate the use of real estate. In this lesson, you'll learn about the general police power of state and local governments and its application to real estate.
3. Land Use Zoning: Definition, Codes & Types
In this lesson, we'll discuss the definition, codes and types of land use zoning. We'll cover the purpose of land zoning and how it works, as well as explore some common types of land zones.
4. Building Ordinances & Codes: Definition, Types & Purpose
Sellers, buyers, landlords, tenants and investors in real estate need to be aware of local building codes. In this lesson, you'll learn what building codes are, some common types, their purpose and importance.
5. Private Methods for Regulating Land Use
Governments are not the only ones that restrict how owners use real estate. In this lesson, you'll learn how private parties, such as homeowner's associations, lenders and sellers, impose limitations on what owners can do with their real estate.
6. Antitrust Law: Definition, Types & Outline
Antitrust laws are statutes developed to protect consumers from rapacious business practices by making it illegal for businesses to compete in unfair ways.
7. Dodd-Frank Act: Summary & Regulations
In this lesson, you will learn what the Dodd-Frank Act is, its purpose in protecting United States citizens from unfair business practices, and how it enforces the new policies created.
8. Legal Guidelines for Email Marketing
Many businesses use email marketing campaigns because they are low cost and easily updated. However, email marketing campaigns must be conducted within certain legal boundaries. This lesson explains the main provisions of the CAN-SPAM Act.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Illinois Real Estate Broker License Exam: Study Guide course
- Role of Agencies in Real Estate
- Principles of Practicing Real Estate
- Real Estate Ethics & Professional Responsibility
- Overview of Contracts In Real Estate Transactions
- Forms of Property Ownership
- Advanced Property Ownership Issues
- Real Estate Investment & Analysis
- Encumbrances in Real Estate
- Advanced Encumbrances in Real Estate
- Real Estate Financing
- Obtaining a Real Estate Loan
- Real Estate Closing & Settlement Procedures
- Land Descriptions & Surveys
- Property Valuation & Appraisal
- Transfer of Real Property
- Advanced Transfer of Real Property
- Disclosures of Property Conditions
- Fair Housing & Consumer Protection
- Leases & Property Management
- Illinois Real Estate
- Illinois Real Estate Broker License Exam Flashcards