About This Chapter
Land Use Regulations & Zoning - Chapter Summary
Part of being a successful real estate professional is understanding the land use regulations and zoning laws at both the local and state level. Having knowledge of these regulations can eliminate a lot of headache and potential problems during the sale of real estate. In this chapter you will learn important information regarding land use regulations and zoning, including:
- The laws and regulations of federal land use
- State and local regulation of land use
- Zoning laws
- Common building ordinances and codes
- Private land use regulations
- Regulation of special land types
This chapter is essential for understanding the potentially complex regulations and zoning laws that you encounter in real estate. You can refer back to this knowledge-based chapter at any time by using the dashboard that is available on both your computer and phone. You can also test your knowledge on the chapter content by taking the five-question quizzes at the end of each lesson.
1. Federal Land Use Laws & Regulations
The use of real estate is regulated at the federal, state and local levels. In this lesson, we will be focusing on the land use laws and regulations enacted at the federal level of government.
2. State & Local Authority in Regulating Land Use
State and local governments have the legitimate authority to regulate the use of real estate. In this lesson, you'll learn about the general police power of state and local governments and its application to real estate.
3. Land Use Zoning: Definition, Codes & Types
In this lesson, we'll discuss the definition, codes and types of land use zoning. We'll cover the purpose of land zoning and how it works, as well as explore some common types of land zones.
4. Building Ordinances & Codes: Definition, Types & Purpose
Sellers, buyers, landlords, tenants and investors in real estate need to be aware of local building codes. In this lesson, you'll learn what building codes are, some common types, their purpose and importance.
5. Private Methods for Regulating Land Use
Governments are not the only ones that restrict how owners use real estate. In this lesson, you'll learn how private parties, such as homeowner's associations, lenders and sellers, impose limitations on what owners can do with their real estate.
6. Government Regulation of Special Land Types
This lesson on governmental regulation will discuss environmental hazards, cover special land types, explain the different governmental agencies' roles and will include definitions of the different flood zones and wetlands regulations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Real Estate Exam Prep course
- Forms of Property Ownership
- Different Types of Estates in Real Estate
- Advanced Property Ownership Issues
- Real Estate Property Rights
- Encumbrances in Real Estate
- Advanced Encumbrances in Real Estate
- Land Descriptions & Surveys
- Transfer of Real Property
- Advanced Transfer of Real Property
- Fair Housing & Consumer Protection Laws in Real Estate
- Real Estate Transactions & Contracts
- Contract Law in Real Estate
- Role of Agencies in Real Estate
- Property Valuation & Appraisal
- Real Estate Investment & Analysis
- Property Condition Disclosure Statements in Real Estate
- Overview of Real Estate Financing
- Real Estate Loan Types & Programs
- Real Estate Loan Regulations
- Real Estate Loan Calculations
- Real Estate Closing & Settlement Procedures
- Real Estate Taxes, Warranties & Insurance
- Leases & Property Management
- Principles of Practicing Real Estate
- Real Estate Ethics & Professional Responsibility
- Real Estate Exam Prep Flashcards