About This Chapter
Land Use - Chapter Summary
Go over different uses of land with these engaging lessons. You'll be able to familiarize yourself on types of agricultural land use, the effects of urban and suburban development and more. Once you have completed this chapter, you will be prepared to:
- Discuss the economic and social factors of city land use
- Explain the consequences of deforestation
- Identify activities that affect water resources
- Describe fishing techniques and their effects on the ecosystem
- Analyze how population size impacts the use of resources
Our video lessons are short and engaging, allowing you to quickly learn more about this geographic topic. The lessons include timelines that make navigating through the information simple. We also provide transcripts of each lesson, as well as self-assessment quizzes to make sure you can differentiate between types of land use.
1. Types of Agriculture: Industrialized and Subsistence Agriculture
In recent history, agriculture has been the main source of the food we consume on a daily basis. In this lesson, we will explore the difference between industrialized and subsistence agriculture. We will also investigate the different kinds of subsistence agriculture that are practiced.
2. Urban Land Development and Suburban Sprawl: Environmental Consequences
In the past, most people lived in rural areas. There has been a shift in recent years towards urban and suburban living. Not only has this shift changed where more people reside, it has also had many environmental consequences.
3. City Land Use: Economy, Social Factors & Government
Land is at a premium in urban areas, and choices have to be made about how to use different parcels of city land. In this lesson, we'll look at different factors that affect city land use, including government, physical, social, and economic factors.
4. Deforestation: Definition, Causes & Consequences
Deforestation is the clearing of trees without the intent of replacing them or reestablishing a stand of trees. Learn reasons for deforestation and discover the consequences of this process in all forests, including tropical forests.
5. Water Resource Issues: Activities Affecting the Water Supply
This video lesson describes water resources issues such as aquifer depletion, overdrawing surface waters and salinization of irrigated soil. You will also learn about the impacts of activities affecting water resources.
6. Fishing Techniques & Their Effects on Ecosystems
Certain fishing techniques are used because they are very efficient. However, many of these techniques are also very destructive to ecosystems and the physical environment. In this lesson, you'll learn about some of these techniques and how they affect the ecosystems they are used in.
7. Population Size: Impacts on Resource Consumption
What are the things you need to survive? Humans all need resources, and in this lesson, we will discuss how the growth of the human population is influencing the natural resources we rely on.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Geography (008): Practice & Study Guide course
- Geographic Terms & Concepts
- Geographical Tools & Information Systems
- Geographic Investigations
- Geography Instruction
- Earth's Physical Features, Systems & Processes
- Earth's Systems & Natural Processes
- Climate & Atmosphere
- Natural Resources & Consumption
- Human Culture & Settlements
- Populations & Demographics
- Human-Environment Interactions
- Europe's Geography
- African & Middle Eastern Geography
- Geography of South Asia
- East Asian Geography
- Geography of Russia & Central Asia
- Geography of Australia & the Pacific Islands
- North American Geography
- United States Geography
- Geography of Canada
- Caribbean & Central & South American Geography
- Geography & Nation-States in History
- International Treaties, Agreements & Organizations
- Global Conflicts & Cooperation
- American Colonization & Settlement
- American Revolution & Early History
- U.S. Expansion & Reform
- U.S. Civil War
- U.S. Industrialization & Urbanization
- Global Power of the United States
- Great Depression
- American Involvement in World War I & II
- American Involvement in the Cold War
- Civil Rights Movements
- Contemporary U.S. History
- Ancient Civilizations & Empires
- Classical Civilizations
- Founding & Spread of Major World Religions
- Age of Global Revolutions
- Economics Vocabulary & Concepts
- American Government & Politics
- Analyzing Public Policy
- MTTC Geography Flashcards