About This Chapter
Landforms, Volcanoes & Earthquakes - Chapter Summary
View brief lessons in this chapter about the impact of erosion on landforms, gases released during a volcanic eruption, and other topics about landforms, volcanoes, and earthquakes. You will also be able to refresh your memory of these subjects:
- Definition of landforms
- Creation of landforms by waves
- Definition of a volcano and earthquake
- Causes, aftershocks, and foreshocks of earthquakes
Short multiple-choice quizzes can be found at the end of each lesson. In addition to being mobile-friendly, this chapter also gives you the option to print out the worksheets. Let our instructors know if you have any questions.
1. Landform: Definition & Types
Read about landforms and their major features. Learn the differences between formations like mountains and hills, valleys and canyons. (Hint: It has to do with their form.)
2. Landforms Created by Waves
After completing this lesson, you will be able to list coastal landforms and describe how waves create them. A short quiz to test your knowledge follows the lesson.
3. Effect of Erosion and Deposition on Landforms
Landforms are constantly being broken down and reformed by the processes of weathering, erosion, and deposition. In this lesson, we explore chemical and physical weathering and how the face of the earth gets changed.
4. What is a Volcano? - Definition & Eruptions
Volcanoes are vents that allow lava, rock fragments and gases to escape from layers beneath the earth's surface. Learn how volcanoes form both on land and underwater and why they erupt.
5. Volcanic Eruption: Gases Released & Their Effects
Volcanic eruptions emit water vapor and toxic gases into the atmosphere. Learn about the gases emitted from an erupting volcano, such as carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen sulfide, hydrochloric acid and carbon monoxide and their effects in this video lesson.
6. What is an Earthquake? - Definition and Components
Earthquakes are well known for the damage and destruction they leave behind. But what is an earthquake? In this video lesson you will learn about what causes earthquakes and the various components involved in these powerful natural disasters.
7. The Causes of Earthquakes
In this video lesson you will learn what causes earthquakes and where they occur. You will also understand the theory of elastic rebound, and how this relates to movement of the earth's crust.
8. Aftershocks & Foreshocks of an Earthquake
An earthquake is not an isolated event of ground shaking. Foreshocks and aftershocks occur with most earthquakes, and in this video lesson you will learn about them and how they are part of the overall process.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Multiple Subjects Subtest II (214): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the CSET Multiple Subjects Test
- Intro to Properties of Matter
- Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Solutions & Mixtures in Chemistry
- Mechanics, Force & Motion
- Basics of Thermodynamics
- Intro to Waves, Sound & Light
- Energy Conservation & Earth's Resources
- Cell Structure, Organelles & Organelle Functions
- Structure & Function of Human Body Systems
- Plant Biology
- Requirements of Biological Systems
- Plant & Animal Life Cycles
- Cell Growth & Division
- Principles of Evolution & Natural Selection
- Orbits & Rotations of Celestial Bodies
- Galaxies, Stars and Solar Systems
- Properties of Minerals & Rocks
- Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- Basics of Plate Tectonics
- Rock Deformation & Mountain Building
- Meteorology & Climate Basics
- The Earth's Water
- Planning & Conducting Scientific Investigations
- Basic Arithmetic Review
- Number Sense & Theory
- Performing Operations with Exponents
- Relations & Functions
- Ratios & Proportional Reasoning
- Graphing & Solving Inequalities
- Creating & Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Graphing Equations
- Operations with Polynomials
- Solving & Factoring Quadratic Equations
- 2D & 3D Geometric Figures
- Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence in Geometry
- Geometric Measurement
- Data & Surveys in Statistics
- Interpreting Data from Tables & Graphs
- Chance & Probability
- Problem Solving & Mathematical Reasoning
- CSET Multiple Subjects Subtest 2 Flashcards