About This Chapter
Language Arts Games for 1st Grade - Chapter Summary
Inside this chapter, our instructors provide you with a full array of suggestions and ideas for language arts games that can be incorporated into almost any curriculum. Some of the topics you will go over in this chapter are as follows:
- Reading games for sight words and spelling
- Activity ideas to promote guided reading
- Strategies for implementing phonics games
- Tips for developing fun journal prompts for students
Easy-to-follow lessons provide extensive details about how to incorporate these games into your classes. We use article-style lessons to present some of the information in this chapter, and these lessons are complete with helpful headers and bolded vocabulary words. Several lessons may include a video component, and these videos provide an excellent teaching resource to help you learn about the games. You may also show these videos to your students to improve their understanding.
How It Helps
- Provides ready-made plans: Since these games have been pre-designed by experienced educators, you can quickly plug them into your lesson plans.
- Saves you time: Instead of spending countless hours on the Internet looking for game ideas, we provide everything you need in one location.
- Gives you more resources: No matter how well you plan your curriculum, your students' needs change periodically, so the more teaching resources you have, the easier it will be to adjust your lesson plans.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Develop different reading games directed at the needs of your students
- Design activity stations for spelling, phonics, and sight words
- Lead students through guided reading activities that promote comprehension
- Assess the benefits of these games through assigning related journal prompts
1. 1st Grade Reading Games
First graders are often new to reading and worried about their identities as readers! This lesson gives you some ways to teach reading games, engaging important skills while keeping reading lighthearted and fun. You will learn about using games to teach and reinforce skills in decoding, sight word automaticity, and comprehension.
2. Sight Word Games for First Grade
First graders are at an exciting stage in their learning-to-read journey. Use these fun and engaging games to teach and reinforce sight words for all levels and types of learners.
3. First Grade Spelling Games
Practicing spelling words can be a rote task that does not excite students in the learning process. This lesson gives many active and quiet games to help get students fully engaged in learning.
4. Guided Reading Activities for First Grade
Guided reading can be an amazing way to target particular skills and concepts with children in a small-group context. This lesson gives you some ideas of what to do with your first graders in guided reading groups.
5. First Grade Phonics Games
Use this lesson to help your first grade students apply phonics concepts in fun, game-like activities. Keep handy for independent work, center time, or to send home for extra practice. Games can be adjusted for all levels and types of learners.
6. First Grade Journal Prompts
Want to start using writing journals but out of ideas? Busy teachers, we have you covered. This lesson provides various types of writing prompts and gives tips on how to make sure all students succeed.
7. Capitalization Games & Activities
Let's face it, grammar rules can be a boring topic. But they needn't be that way. Make it more interesting by trying out some of these capitalization games and activities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Language Arts: Lesson Plans & Games course
- Dialogue Lesson Plans & Activities
- Punctuation Lesson Plans & Resources
- Linguistics Lesson Plans & Resources
- Compare & Contrast Lesson Plans & Activities
- Language Arts Lesson Plans
- Phonics & Spelling Lesson Plans
- Vocabulary Lesson Plans & Activities
- Language Arts Games for 2nd Grade
- Language Arts Games for 3rd Grade
- Language Arts Games for 4th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 5th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 6th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 7th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 8th Grade