About This Chapter
Language Arts Games for 3rd Grade - Chapter Summary
Are you looking for fun language arts games you can use to boost the knowledge of your 3rd graders? You've reached the right place! This chapter is filled with entertaining games and activities designed to reinforce the language arts concepts you've covered in class. Access ideas you can add to your lesson plans, and benefit from thorough instructions that can bring the games to life. Among the games and other resources included in this chapter are the following:
- Reading comprehension and spelling games
- Games for vocabulary, context clues and reading
- Verb and pronoun games
- 3rd grade games for typing and journal prompts
- Common Core reading passage examples
Navigate this chapter in any sequence you desire to pick the games you believe will best reach your 3rd graders. These teacher resources are accessible anytime from your computer, smartphone or tablet.
How It Helps
- Offers game instructions: Benefit from thorough instructions that can help you easily teach students how to play the games.
- Shares required materials: This chapter describes the materials you will need to acquire to play the games in the classroom.
- Provides learning objectives: Game descriptions include the language arts concepts your students should understand after playing the games.
Upon completion of this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Incorporate games for 3rd grade reading comprehension, spelling and vocabulary into your lesson plans
- Teach your students context clues, verbs and pronouns through fun games
- Enhance your students' ability to read, type and write in journals
- Meet 3rd grade language arts Common Core standards
1. 3rd Grade Reading Comprehension Games
Third graders are at an exciting place as readers and are often ready to focus with new intensity on comprehension. This lesson gives you some good ideas for games that will deepen your students' understanding of the texts they are working with.
2. Spelling Games for 3rd Grade
Spelling is a necessary skill for third graders to practice. It leads to better self-expression, reading and writing throughout elementary school and beyond. These collaborative games add an element of fun to spelling practice.
3. 3rd Grade Vocabulary Games
Teaching students vocabulary is a great way to help them with reading comprehension and critical thinking. This lesson gives you some ideas for great vocabulary games to move your third graders along.
4. Context Clues Games for 3rd Grade
Learning to understand the meaning of words from context clues is so important for being able to build vocabulary. This lesson gives you some ideas of games you can play with your third graders to teach them context clues.
5. Reading Games for 3rd Grade
Third graders are often on the verge of really taking off as readers. As teachers, we want to keep them engaged and interested and push their thinking to new levels. These games will help you get your third grade readers excited about their reading.
6. Verb Games for 3rd Grade
Learning verbs is an important part of language development. Help your students enjoy the process, by playing some of these verb games appropriate for third graders.
7. Pronoun Games for 3rd Grade
Teaching students to use pronouns appropriately can be tricky, and some students require a lot of practice. The games in this lesson will help you teach your third graders what pronouns are, and how to use them correctly when speaking and writing.
8. 3rd Grade Typing Games
Typing is an incredibly valuable skill these days, and vital to life in the 21st century. Help your students gain these necessary skills, and make the process fun, by trying some of these third grade typing games.
9. 3rd Grade Journal Prompts
Third grade students are required to write daily in a variety of ways. Asking students to journal is a great way to have them practice and develop their writing skills. This lesson gives you ideas for prompts to keep at your fingertips.
10. Common Core Reading Passage Examples for 3rd Grade
Getting students to meet the Common Core State Standards can be challenging. This lesson will help you by providing ideas for readings that will help your third graders meet the standards.
11. Preposition Activities & Games
Do students in your classroom need to learn prepositions and prepositional phrases? Use these games and activities to reinforce taught skills in a fun way.
12. Nonfiction Activities for Kids
It is so important for students to be able to read nonfiction with strong comprehension. This lesson offers activities that will help you get your students to be expert nonfiction readers.
13. Read Aloud Activities for Elementary School
Reading aloud to your students is one of the best ways you can keep them engaged with literacy while also building community. The activities in this lesson can be used with elementary school students with any read aloud text.
14. Book Project Ideas for 3rd Grade
In this resource, you will find a variety of book projects for your third grade students to complete. These projects will be completed individually and in groups, and will allow students to dig deeper into the characters, plot and themes of books.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Language Arts: Lesson Plans & Games course
- Dialogue Lesson Plans & Activities
- Punctuation Lesson Plans & Resources
- Linguistics Lesson Plans & Resources
- Compare & Contrast Lesson Plans & Activities
- Language Arts Lesson Plans
- Phonics & Spelling Lesson Plans
- Vocabulary Lesson Plans & Activities
- Language Arts Games for 1st Grade
- Language Arts Games for 2nd Grade
- Language Arts Games for 4th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 5th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 6th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 7th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 8th Grade