About This Chapter
Language Arts Games for 4th Grade - Chapter Summary
Reduce the amount of time you spend researching ways to create entertaining 4th grade language arts lessons by reviewing the games in this chapter. They are designed to ensure students have a great time reinforcing their knowledge of language arts concepts you cover. Along with the games are additional resources you can use to strengthen your lessons. Take a look at some items available in this chapter:
- Reading and reading comprehension games
- Games for vocabulary and grammar
- Spelling and context clues games
- Journal prompts for 4th graders
- 4th grade Common Core writing prompts
You can use the resources in this chapter in a manner that best suits your lesson preparation and classroom instruction. Feel free to access them anytime, in any sequence and as often as needed to ensure your lessons are amazing!
How It Helps
- Covers numerous topics: The games and activities in this chapter cover a variety of language arts topics to provide students with a well-rounded learning experience.
- Keeps students engaged: Playing games with students keeps them engaged in your lessons, which can contribute to an increase in comprehension.
- Addresses curriculum standards: This chapter addresses the need to align with Common Core education standards.
- Offers additional resources: Prompts and other resources provide you with additional ways to teach language arts concepts.
Upon completion of this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Teach your students reading, vocabulary, spelling, grammar and more through fun games
- Help students practice their writing and journaling skills
- Address Common Core writing standards
1. 4th Grade Reading Comprehension Games
Most fourth graders have mastered the aspects of reading that deal primarily with decoding, but are still working on comprehension. This lesson gives you some fun strategies to help your fourth graders practice understanding what they have read.
2. Reading Games for 4th Grade
Fourth graders are often independent readers but need a push to keep up their vocabulary and critical thinking development. These games help you teach important skills while making learning fun.
3. 4th Grade Vocabulary Games
Having a wide vocabulary is hugely valuable. Help your 4th-graders get ahead with their vocabulary by trying out a few of these fun and memorable vocabulary games.
4. 4th Grade Grammar Games
Grammar is important for both speaking and writing, but some children resist it or consider it boring. The games in this lesson will help you bring grammar to life for your fourth grade students.
5. Spelling Games for 4th Grade
Spelling is a pretty important skill for fourth-graders to learn, and it takes some time to achieve. Speed things along by playing a few of these fourth-grade spelling games.
6. Context Clues Games for 4th Grade
When students know how to use context clues, they can figure out new vocabulary on their own. This lesson gives you some ideas for games that will teach context clues to your fourth grade students.
7. 4th Grade Journal Prompts
By 4th grade, students should be composing properly formatted essays. The format should focus on an introduction with at least three points, paragraphs to match up to the points and a conclusion. This lesson offers sample journal prompts for this age range.
8. Common Core Writing Prompts for 4th Grade
New standards require students to write more than ever before. Use this lesson to help your students understand writing expectations and practice writing to a prompt.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Language Arts: Lesson Plans & Games course
- Dialogue Lesson Plans & Activities
- Punctuation Lesson Plans & Resources
- Linguistics Lesson Plans & Resources
- Compare & Contrast Lesson Plans & Activities
- Language Arts Lesson Plans
- Phonics & Spelling Lesson Plans
- Vocabulary Lesson Plans & Activities
- Language Arts Games for 1st Grade
- Language Arts Games for 2nd Grade
- Language Arts Games for 3rd Grade
- Language Arts Games for 5th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 6th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 7th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 8th Grade