About This Chapter
Language Arts Games for 6th Grade - Chapter Summary
Open up the lessons from this chapter to review ideas for games you can use to enhance your 6th grade language arts lesson plans. Some of the topics will learn about in this chapter are as follows:
- Games promoting reading comprehension
- Vocabulary development games
- Games and activities to improve spelling skills
- Computer-based typing games
- Games to increase awareness of grammar rules
These teaching resources have been developed by educators who understand the difficulties in teaching 6th grade students. That's why our lessons offer you new approaches that incorporate game play teaching methodologies. Furthermore, you can pick and choose through this chapter based on your needs, so if you only need additional resources for reading and spelling, you can focus on those specific lessons.
How It Helps
- Builds a happier learning environment: Sometimes the rigid structure of school causes students to have problems with learning, but these games can help you reach your students through the use of a happier and friendlier approach.
- Provides step-by-step instruction: Our detailed lessons include easy-to-follow instructions that were written by fellow educators, so you know these games will fit seamlessly into your lesson plans.
- Creates new perspectives: Instead of only teaching language arts by the book, these games challenge you to think differently, which can help you become a better teacher.
After you finish this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Utilize games to explain the grammar rules of nouns, verbs, and adjectives
- Increase student vocabulary skills with word games
- Connect spelling and typing games for cross-skills training
- Institute in-class reading games to encourage healthy competition
1. 6th Grade Language Arts Lesson Plan
In this lesson, students will learn the difference between denotations and connotations. Students will watch a video, answer discussion prompts, complete a quiz and participate in an activity.
2. 6th Grade Reading Games
Reading can be fun if it's presented appropriately. But even for kids who don't enjoy reading, the process of learning can be made more fun by playing some games. Check out a few of these ideas for reading games.
3. 6th Grade Vocabulary Games
Vocabulary is hugely valuable. It teaches reading, writing, and better self-expression. Help your sixth graders stay engaged as they learn vocabulary with these vocabulary game ideas.
4. 6th Grade Spelling Games
Sixth graders can be hesitant about working on skills like spelling, but games can really get them going. The games in this lesson will give you some ideas for helping your students become proficient and enthusiastic spellers.
5. 6th Grade Grammar Games
Sixth graders are ready to do some pretty advanced grammar work, but they can also be pretty resistant to doing it! These games will get your sixth grade students more excited about grammar.
6. 6th Grade Typing Games
You can't get far in the modern world without typing. We can help our students improve their typing skills while having fun by playing some of these sixth grade typing games.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Language Arts: Lesson Plans & Games course
- Dialogue Lesson Plans & Activities
- Punctuation Lesson Plans & Resources
- Linguistics Lesson Plans & Resources
- Compare & Contrast Lesson Plans & Activities
- Language Arts Lesson Plans
- Phonics & Spelling Lesson Plans
- Vocabulary Lesson Plans & Activities
- Language Arts Games for 1st Grade
- Language Arts Games for 2nd Grade
- Language Arts Games for 3rd Grade
- Language Arts Games for 4th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 5th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 7th Grade
- Language Arts Games for 8th Grade