About This Chapter
Language Development in Children - Chapter Summary
What are stages of language acquisition? Which factors affect language development in early childhood? What roles does culture play in language development? These are the kinds of topics you can expect to explore when you use this brief chapter.
Lessons contain detailed examples to support information about the factors and influences discussed throughout the chapter. Once you have completed your review, you should be able to do the following:
- List the physical, environmental, social and cultural factors affecting language development
- Explain how these factors influence language and literacy development
- Identify patterns and stages of English language acquisition
- Discuss the factors and challenges associated with second language acquisition
- Understand details about L1 and L2 literacy development
Lessons are presented in either video or text format, both of which are easily accessible from any device 24/7. Transcripts are also printable, so you can create reference materials to use if you do not have access to any electronic device. Short self-assessment quizzes allow you to demonstrate what you have learned and identify any topics you might need to review again.
1. Factors Influencing Language & Literacy Development in Early Childhood
There are many factors that can influence the development of both language and literacy in children between the ages of two and five. In this lesson, we'll discuss the difference between language and literacy as we explore the factors that influence the development of each.
2. The Effects of Environment and Culture on Language Development
Both environmental and cultural factors have an impact on early language development. This lesson will provide examples to consider and discuss possible reasons for this impact.
3. Factors Affecting English Language Acquisition
English language acquisition is an involved and complex process. This lesson provides teachers with an overview of how to identify and relate to the patterns and stages of language acquisition.
4. Factors Affecting Second Language Acquisition
Many factors impact second language acquisition. In this lesson, you will learn about some of the individual, academic, and sociopolitical forces acting on second language learners.
5. L1 & L2 Literacy Development
First and second language development both occur in stages with small hurdles along the way. This lesson looks closely at the development of both L1 and L2, as well as some of the challenges that language learners might face.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education (5531): Practice & Study Guide course
- Development of Young Children
- Basics of Early Childhood Education
- Influences on Early Childhood Development
- Atypical Development & Delays
- Federal Legislation Related to Children With Exceptionalities
- Accommodating Children With Diverse Needs
- Adaptive & Assistive Equipment for Learning
- Multicultural & Antibias Curriculum
- Early Childhood Classroom Safety
- Learning Environments in Early Education
- Managing the Learning Environment
- Instructional Planning for Early Education
- Instructional Processes for Early Education
- Grouping Techniques for Classrooms
- Integrated Curriculum & Interdisciplinary Connections for ECE
- Art Education for Early Childhood
- Physical Health & Wellness Education
- Fundamentals of Literacy in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Math in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Social Studies in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Science in Early Education
- Assessment Data in Early Education
- Early Childhood Educational Technology
- Assessments in Early Childhood Education
- Professional Development for Early Childhood Teachers
- Ethics & Professionalism in Early Education
- Family Collaboration & Advocacy in Early Childhood Education
- Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education Flashcards