About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other human growth and development work.
- Identify the language development concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Human Growth and Development Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about language development and earn better grades. This resource can help students, including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the stages of language development, the influences of environment and culture on this process, the language acquisition device or any other language development topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their social science learning
- Prefer learning social science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their language development unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in their human growth and development course
- Don't have access to their social science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about language development simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about language development on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and re-watch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Examine the stages of language development.
- Explain how environment and culture affect language development.
- Discuss the nativist perspective of language development.
1. Stages of Language Development: Pre-Linguistic and Symbolic Language
How does language expression emerge in children? Learn about the development of syntax in children through the pre-linguistic and linguistic stages of language development in this lesson.
2. The Effects of Environment and Culture on Language Development
Both environmental and cultural factors have an impact on early language development. This lesson will provide examples to consider and discuss possible reasons for this impact.
3. The Nativist Perspective and Language Development
In this lesson, learn how we develop language according to the nativist perspective. Discover Noam Chomsky's idea of the language acquisition device (LAD) and its role in this process.
4. Neologism: Definition & Examples
You may have found this lesson by Googling 'neologism', so read on to find out what 'Google' and similar neologisms are and how they find their way into everyday usage.
5. What is a Lexicon? - Definition & Examples
Mirar! Regarder! Guardare! These are all ways to say look from different lexicons. Look at this lesson to learn what a lexicon is and explore examples of different lexicons.
6. Lexical Ambiguity: Definition & Examples
This lesson focuses on lexical ambiguity, a writing error that can lead to confusion for readers. Sentences containing this type of error are easily revised to eliminate confusion. Let's explore the definition in more detail and look at some examples.
7. Noam Chomsky: Biography & Quotes
Noam Chomsky is a linguist and activist. He is known for his outspoken arguments about political and academic freedom. His thoughts and ideas on many subjects are studied and quoted for their inspirational and intellectual value.
8. The English Lexicon Project
In this lesson, you will learn about the English Lexicon Project, including what it is, who helped put it together, and what kind of information is included in it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Human Growth and Development: Tutoring Solution course
- Theoretical Approaches to Human Growth and Development: Tutoring Solution
- Human Growth & Development Research Methods: Tutoring Solution
- Genetic Influences on Development: Tutoring Solution
- Biological Development: Tutoring Solution
- Sensory and Perceptual Development: Tutoring Solution
- Cognition and Cognitive Development: Tutoring Solution
- Creativity and Intelligence Development: Tutoring Solution
- Social Development: Tutoring Solution
- Social Relationship Development: Tutoring Solution
- Atypical Development: Tutoring Solution