About This Chapter
Language Disorders - Chapter Summary
When you study this chapter, you'll review lessons and quizzes covering topics related to language disorders. These include the symptoms, treatment options for and diagnoses of a variety of disorders affecting language. This chapter has been created to guide you in your preparations to:
- Define what a language-based learning disability is
- Outline the symptoms of expressive language disorder
- Discuss receptive language disorder and its treatment
- Explain how language processing disorder affects language
- Identify the process of diagnosing pragmatic language disorder
- Describe different types of phonological disorders
Informative, user-friendly and convenient lessons are available to you in this chapter 24 hours a day on your mobile phone, tablet or computer. We've included a quiz with each lesson so you can check your comprehension quickly before moving on in the chapter. You'll find a progress report on how you're doing in the Dashboard, as well as an option to submit questions to one of our instructors if you need assistance.
1. What is a Language-Based Learning Disability?
This lesson will define a language-based learning disability and provide you with warning signs. It will also help you support students with a language-based learning disability by providing you strategies and interventions.
2. Expressive Language Disorder: Symptoms & Treatment
Did you know that between three and seven percent of school-children are thought to have a language disorder? In this lesson, we will discuss expressive language disorder, its symptoms, and how it is treated.
3. Receptive Language Disorder: Symptoms & Treatment
Read this lesson to learn all about receptive language disorder. We will define receptive language disorder, its symptoms, causes, and how it is treated.
4. Language Processing Disorder: Symptoms & Treatment
Some people have difficulty speaking and understanding the meaning behind other's words. This can be caused by Language Processing Disorder. Learn about LPD symptoms and treatment techniques in this lesson.
5. Pragmatic Language Disorder: Diagnosis & Treatment
This lesson looks at pragmatic language disorder, how the disorder manifests itself and how it can be treated by concerned adults and professionals. The lesson also looks at the difference between pragmatic language disorder and autism spectrum disorder.
6. Phonological Disorders: Definition & Types
This lesson is concerned with a problem that is all too common among young children and adults. In young children, being able to speak clearly is called a phonological disorder, while in adults (as well as children) it is a reading issue. Whether reading or speaking, this lesson examines how these disorders effect sufferers and how they can be recognized.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Learning Disabilities (063): Practice & Study Guide course
- Learning Disabilities & Other Types of Disabilities
- Learning Disabilities Across the Lifespan
- Factors Affecting Development & Learning
- Perceptual, Memory & Reasoning Disorders
- Behavioral, Social & Emotional Disorders
- Assessment Instruments & Methods in Special Education
- Assessment Procedures in Special Education
- Assessment Interpretation & Communication in Special Education
- IEPs, IFSPs & Transition Plans
- Setting & Monitoring Student Goals
- Learning Environments in Special Education
- Fundamentals of Classroom Management
- Individualizing Instruction for Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Language Development
- Promoting Emergent Literacy
- Promoting Reading Skills for Students with Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Written Expression for Students with Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Math Skills for Students with Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Social Competence in Special Education
- Promoting Functional Living Skills in Special Education
- Developing & Implementing Behavioral Interventions
- Roles & Responsibilities of the Special Education Professional
- Communication & Collaboration in Special Education
- Historical, Social & Legal Issues in Special Education
- Professional Development in Special Education
- MTTC Learning Disabilities Flashcards