About This Chapter
Language, Ethnicity & Culture - Chapter Summary
Take a look at this chapter's short video lessons to review the connections between culture, ethnicity and language. As you progress through the chapter, you'll learn about the development of major world languages, cultural diffusion and the transformation of ethnicities into nationalities. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Evaluate the formation of dialects from different language regions
- Trace the development and diffusion of the world's major languages
- Understand how ethnicities transform into nationalities
- Assess spatial associations of cultural regions
- Define the concept of cultural diffusion
Each lesson comes with a short multiple-choice quiz to help you check your understanding of these concepts. The online format of the chapter allows you to study whenever you have free time in your schedule. Be sure to take the comprehensive chapter exam, and if you have any questions, you can submit them to our instructors online at any time.
1. Language & Language Regions: Definitions & Dialects
Do you know what lolly water is? How about gym boots? In this lesson, you'll consider how word choices, accent and pronunciation are all part of our use of language and how this varies by region.
2. The World's Major Languages: Development & Diffusion
Can you guess the most widely spoken languages in the world? This lesson will explore the evolution of languages and how linguists aim to understand them.
3. Transforming Ethnicities into Nationalities
This lesson will discuss the process of how ethnicities transform into nationalities. In doing this, it will highlight the concepts of self-determination, nation-states, centripetal force, and ethnographic boundaries.
4. Spatial Association of Culture Regions: Definition, Distinctions & Influences
Have you ever noticed that people who live near water eat a lot of fish? Or that rainforests are in areas that have a lot of rain and high temperatures? In this lesson, we'll look at spacial associations in geography, as well as how they relate to culture.
5. Cultural Diffusion: Definition, Expansion & Popular Cultures
In this lesson, we'll use the examples of viral videos, hip hop, and yoga to explore how culture is diffused and expanded. We'll also look at how the Internet impacts our understanding of popular culture.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Citizenship Education - Content Knowledge (5087): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ancient Greece & Rome
- Ancient Persia, India & China
- Byzantine Empire & Crusades
- Overview of World Religions
- Global Dynasties (300-1400 CE)
- Renaissance, Reformation & Enlightenment
- Early North American History
- Understanding European Colonization
- The American Revolution & US Constitution
- US Expansion, Civil War & Reconstruction Period
- Historical Impact of Trade & Revolutions
- 1800s & 1900s Imperialism Overview
- World War I, the Progressive Era & the New Deal
- World War II & The Cold War
- Protests, Activism & Civil Disobedience
- Vietnam War & Political Conservatism
- The Contemporary Role of the US
- Political Ideologies & Philosophy
- US Government & Politics Overview
- World Governments & International Relations
- Geographical Maps & Spatial Concepts
- Overview of Humans & the Environment
- Family Systems, Gender Roles & Religion
- Human Migration & Settlement
- Agriculture & Food Science Basics
- Demographic Patterns
- Overview of Political Geography
- Overview of the Economy & Geography
- Overview of Microeconomics
- Overview of Macroeconomics
- Personal Finance Basics
- Praxis Citizenship Education: Content Knowledge Flashcards