About This Chapter
Language Features & Acquisition - Chapter Summary
Expert instructors have created fun lessons you can study from home or on the go to improve your knowledge of the features and acquisition of language. Topics covered in the lessons include L1 and L2 literacy development, morphology in linguistics and the process of learning a second language. Study the lessons at the pace that you prefer. When finished with this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Provide the definition of morphology in linguistics
- Define and share examples of syntax in writing
- Differentiate between semantics and pragmatics
- Share descriptions of L1 and L2 literacy development
- Explain the impact culture and environment have on language development
- List and discuss factors that can impact English language acquisition
- Discuss the role native language plays in second language acquisition
- Outline the five-step process of learning a second language
Each lesson in this chapter is accessible around the clock, enabling you to study during the time periods that suit your schedule. Mobile features let you access this chapter via any computer, smartphone or tablet with an Internet connection. As you progress through this chapter, feel free to test your knowledge of the lessons by taking multiple-choice quizzes and a practice exam. If you have questions about specific topics, don't hesitate to submit them to our experts via the Dashboard.
1. What is Morphology in Linguistics? - Definition & Examples
Learning about human language is often an overlooked educational subject. Read this lesson to discover the importance of morphology in our linguistic world.
2. Syntax in Writing: Definition & Examples
Syntax is how a writer puts his words together to create effect and artistry. Learn more about syntax and how authors use it to convey intent and cause impact for their readers.
3. What Is Semantics? - Definition & Examples
Semantics, or the study of relationships between words and how we construct meaning, sheds light on how we experience the world and how we understand others and ourselves. Explore this concept with a definition and examples, and then check out the quiz to challenge your newfound knowledge.
4. What is Pragmatics? - Definition & Examples
You use pragmatics on an everyday basis, but do you know how? Watch this video lesson to not only learn the meaning of pragmatics but also how you use it every day.
5. L1 & L2 Literacy Development
First and second language development both occur in stages with small hurdles along the way. This lesson looks closely at the development of both L1 and L2, as well as some of the challenges that language learners might face.
6. The Effects of Environment and Culture on Language Development
Both environmental and cultural factors have an impact on early language development. This lesson will provide examples to consider and discuss possible reasons for this impact.
7. Factors Affecting English Language Acquisition
English language acquisition is an involved and complex process. This lesson provides teachers with an overview of how to identify and relate to the patterns and stages of language acquisition.
8. The Role of Native Language in Second Language Acquisition
In this lesson we explore the various schools of thought surrounding the use of native language in second-language education, ranging from using it often to not using it at all.
9. The Process of Learning a Second Language
In this lesson, the five-step process of learning a second language is listed and described extensively. In addition, the length of time that it takes to go through each stage is presented.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) (197-200, 305): Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Literacy
- Selecting Materials for Literacy Instruction
- Developing Emergent Literacy Skills
- Literacy Assessment & Differentiation
- Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Decoding & Fluency Teaching Strategies
- Language & Reading Comprehension
- Vocabulary Acquisition & Use
- Reading Comprehension Instructional Strategies
- Analyzing Literary & Informational Texts
- Instructional Strategies for Literary & Text Analysis
- English Grammar Writing Conventions
- Writing Instruction & Feedback
- Instructional Strategies for Different Types of Writing
- Strategies for Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills
- Teaching Counting, Cardinality, Numbers & Operations
- Fraction Operations
- Teaching Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- Overview of Concepts in Algebra
- Principles of Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- Properties & Operations of Functions
- Geometry Concepts
- Data Distribution & Graphs
- Permutation & Combination
- Interpreting Statistical & Probability Data
- Mathematical Development & Curriculum
- Measurement & Data
- Scientific Models & Relationships
- Scientific Inquiry & Lab Safety
- Evaluating Scientific Information
- Fundamental Concepts of Physical Science
- Fundamentals of Life Science
- Fundamentals of Earth & Space Science
- Overview of Government & Citizenship
- Overview of Economics & Political Principles for Illinois Educators
- Overview of History & Cultural Development for Illinois Educators
- Fundamentals of Human Geography for Illinois Educators
- Overview of the Arts for Educators
- Overview of Physical Education
- Human Body Systems & Fitness
- Personal, Family & Community Health Overview for Educators
- Illinois Learning Standards
- ILTS Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) Flashcards