About This Chapter
Language in Context - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will show you how to write clear sentences that avoid faulty comparisons and mixed structure. You'll review information on how sentences and paragraphs should be structured in an essay.
Our instructors will help you understand why precise writing and editing is important. You should be ready to do the following after completing the lessons in this chapter:
- Identify mixed structure sentences
- Compose logical sentences
- Organize sentences and paragraphs in an essay
- Improve sentence structure
- Correct mistakes in your writing
These brief video lessons, taught by experts in the field, make learning fun. Each lesson ends with a multiple-choice quiz that lets you assess what you know. Video tags allow you to quickly go back and re-watch areas that need additional attention.
1. Sentence Clarity: How to Write Clear Sentences
Just because you know a good sentence when you read one doesn't mean that you think it's easy to put one together - forget about writing an essay's worth. Learn how to write clear sentences and turn rough ones into gems.
2. Sentence Structure: Identify and Avoid 'Mixed Structure' Sentences
A mixed structure sentence is a common error that occurs when a writer starts a sentence with one structure but switches to a different structure in the middle of the sentence. This video will teach you how to spot and avoid this type of error.
3. How to Write Logical Sentences and Avoid Faulty Comparisons
Your sentences may not always make as much sense as you think they do, especially if you're comparing two or more things. It's easy to let comparisons become illogical, incomplete, or ambiguous. Learn how to avoid making faulty comparisons on your way to writing a great essay.
4. How to Structure Sentences in an Essay
Sometimes we know what we want to write, but we are just unsure of the best way to write it. In this video, we will cover ways to structure sentences in an essay.
5. How to Write Better by Improving Your Sentence Structure
Often times in writing, we know what we want to say, but it doesn't seem to come out right. In this video we will learn the steps needed to improve your writing with better sentence structure.
6. The Importance of Using Precise Language in Writing
The simple tips in this lesson will help your writing come to life. Learn how to choose particular nouns and verbs that are active or that show precise states of being, perfect modifiers, and, as an added bonus, a very powerful writing tool: similes.
7. How to Structure Paragraphs in an Essay
When structuring a paragraph, you shouldn't just go throwing together a few sentences. The sentences that make up a paragraph should all flow together and represent the same topic to make up a strong paragraph. This video explains how to put together your sentences and paragraphs to maximize their impact.
8. Writing Revision: How to Fix Mistakes in Your Writing
Writing is an important skill, but revising your writing is also. In this lesson, learn the basics of self-editing, including editing for content and for mechanics, such as grammar and misspellings.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Technical Writing: Help and Review course
- Introduction to Technical Writing: Help and Review
- Prewriting for Technical Documents: Help and Review
- Writing Technical Documents: Help and Review
- Technical Editing & Rewriting: Help and Review
- Elements of Technical Documents: Help and Review
- Usability Testing & Technical Writing: Help and Review
- Informal Technical Reports: Help and Review
- Formal Technical Reports: Help and Review
- Business Reports for Technical Writing: Help and Review
- Technical Correspondence: Help and Review
- Technical Resumes & Cover Letters: Help and Review
- Technical Instructions: Help and Review
- Writing Technical Manuals: Help and Review
- Writing Proposals: Help and Review
- Language & Style