About This Chapter
Language & Reading Comprehension - Chapter Summary
The bite-sized lessons in this chapter make it easy to better understand language and reading comprehension. Closely examine academic language, complex language, factors that affect reading comprehension and more. After finishing this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Define and discuss the functions of academic language
- Provide a description of language structure and text features in reading comprehension
- Share strategies for comprehending complex language
- List and discuss factors that can help or hinder reading comprehension
- Describe ways to construct meaning using prior knowledge, context clues and word structure
- Explain the link between vocabulary and reading comprehension
Take advantage of the ability to tailor your study of language and reading comprehension. This chapter's flexibility lets you choose the lessons you want to study and visit any time your schedule permits. Multiple-choice quizzes help you check your knowledge of the lessons you review, while our practice exam assesses your understanding of the entire chapter. These resources are available 24/7 and can be viewed using your computer, smartphone or tablet of choice.
1. Academic Language: Definition, Examples & Functions
In this lesson, you'll be able to learn about academic language, and how it fits into a school's curriculum. Check out some various examples and functions of this way of writing and then test your knowledge with a quiz!
2. Language Structure & Text Features in Reading Comprehension
In this lesson we will examine how language structure and text features can help you comprehend what you are reading and, ultimately, remember the information better!
3. What Factors Help & Hinder Reading Comprehension?
Being able to understand what we read is center to a solid reading program. What kinds of things help or hinder us from comprehending? This lesson will explain these factors and help you understand how they impact reading development.
4. The Connection Between Vocabulary & Reading Comprehension
Watch this video lesson to see how a student's vocabulary impacts his or her level of reading comprehension. Learn what kinds of activities you can use to help increase your student's reading comprehension through vocabulary acquisition.
5. Constructing Meaning with Context Clues, Prior Knowledge & Word Structure
In this lesson, you will learn how readers use prior knowledge, context clues and word structure to aid their understanding of what they read. Explore these strategies through examples from literature and everyday life.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) (197-200, 305): Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Literacy
- Language Features & Acquisition
- Selecting Materials for Literacy Instruction
- Developing Emergent Literacy Skills
- Literacy Assessment & Differentiation
- Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Decoding & Fluency Teaching Strategies
- Vocabulary Acquisition & Use
- Reading Comprehension Instructional Strategies
- Analyzing Literary & Informational Texts
- Instructional Strategies for Literary & Text Analysis
- English Grammar Writing Conventions
- Writing Instruction & Feedback
- Instructional Strategies for Different Types of Writing
- Strategies for Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills
- Teaching Counting, Cardinality, Numbers & Operations
- Fraction Operations
- Teaching Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- Overview of Concepts in Algebra
- Principles of Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- Properties & Operations of Functions
- Geometry Concepts
- Data Distribution & Graphs
- Permutation & Combination
- Interpreting Statistical & Probability Data
- Mathematical Development & Curriculum
- Measurement & Data
- Scientific Models & Relationships
- Scientific Inquiry & Lab Safety
- Evaluating Scientific Information
- Fundamental Concepts of Physical Science
- Fundamentals of Life Science
- Fundamentals of Earth & Space Science
- Overview of Government & Citizenship
- Overview of Economics & Political Principles for Illinois Educators
- Overview of History & Cultural Development for Illinois Educators
- Fundamentals of Human Geography for Illinois Educators
- Overview of the Arts for Educators
- Overview of Physical Education
- Human Body Systems & Fitness
- Personal, Family & Community Health Overview for Educators
- Illinois Learning Standards
- ILTS Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) Flashcards