About This Chapter
Late Adulthood Physical Development - Chapter Summary
Changes to our physical bodies during late adulthood can be troubling, but getting older doesn't mean you can't do the things you enjoy. This chapter provides an explanation of how our bodies change physically, as well as strategies for how people can compensate for the negative changes. Our instructors have significant experience in this field, so you can be certain that they are presenting the most up-to-date research possible within these lessons.
Not only will our instructors go over vocabulary words, definitions, and other major concepts, but they will also use several real-world examples so you can see the applications of this information. Once you complete the lessons in this chapter, you will be ready to do the following:
- Point out factors to define life span and life expectancy
- Offer examples of motor and sensory changes during late adulthood
- Review sleep patterns and physical appearance
- Show factors to consider for late adulthood sexuality, fitness, and health
- Determine options for health care treatment for this age group
1. Life Expectancy and Life Span: Definition & Factors
Everyone wants to live forever, but the truth is that we all have only a limited time to be alive. In this lesson, we'll look at life expectancy and life span, as well as factors that can influence how long a person lives.
2. Sensory and Motor Changes in Late Adulthood
As people age, their senses change and dull. But why does this happen? In this lesson, we'll examine the changes in the brain and nervous system that cause a decline in sensory perception in later life.
3. Physical Appearance and Sleep Patterns in Late Adulthood
As people age, they experience many changes in their bodies. In this lesson, we'll examine some of the changes in physical appearance that happen in older adulthood, as well as how people's sleeping habits change in late life.
4. Health, Fitness, and Sexuality in Late Adulthood
As people age, their bodies change. But what does that mean in terms of health, fitness, and sexuality? Watch this lesson for information on how diet and exercise impact health and how sexuality changes in late life.
5. Health Care Treatment in Late Adulthood
As people age, their bodies change, but what exactly does that mean in terms of health care? Watch this lesson to find out more about illness and disease in late adulthood, as well as the types of health care facilities often frequented in later life.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 107: Life Span Developmental Psychology course
- Intro to Human Development
- Research Methods for Human Development
- Foundations of Human Development
- Genetic Influences in Human Development
- Overview of Prenatal Development
- Childbirth and the Neonatal Period
- Human Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood
- Early Childhood Physical and Cognitive Development
- Early Childhood Psychosocial Development
- Human Development in Middle Childhood
- Adolescent Physical and Sexual Development
- Adolescent Psychosocial Development
- Early Adulthood Physical and Cognitive Development
- Early Adulthood Psychosocial Development
- Middle Adulthood Physical and Cognitive Development
- Middle Adulthood Psychosocial Development
- Late Adulthood Psychosocial and Cognitive Development
- Stages and Psychological Impact of Death and Dying
- Studying for Psychology 107