About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Latin America Since 1900 chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||The Mexican Revolution||The causes of revolution, the Diaz regime, the long-term effects of the Mexican Revolution|
|Tuesday||Power in Latin America||Argentina vs. England in the Falkland Islands, single-party rule in Mexico, Hispaniola dictatorships (Haiti's Duvalier and the Dominican Republic's Trujillo)|
|Wednesday||The Cold War in Latin America||The Cuban Revolution, the Cuban Missile Crisis, Colombian civil war, Guatemalan civil war, Pinochet and Allende in Chile, Somoza in Nicaragua, U.S. invasions of Grenada and Panama|
|Thursday||A closer look at revolution in Chile, Guatemala, Argentina, Nicaragua, and Cuba||The election of Allende in Chile, the rise and fall of Pinochet in Chile, the aftermath of civil war in Guatemala, Peronism in Argentina, the Somoza regime vs. the Sandinistas in Nicaragua, the Cuban Revolution|
|Friday||Economics in Latin America||NAFTA, migration, Organization of American States, external debt|
1. The Mexican Revolution: Causes & Initial Events
The Mexican Revolution started in response to the dictatorship of Porfirio Diaz. In this video, we look at the causes of the Revolution, and then explore the initial events that led to the removal of Diaz.
2. The Mexican Revolution: Aftermath & Effects
In this video, we examine the civil war that broke out in Mexico after Porfirio Diaz was removed from power as the various parties competed with each other for power. A quiz will follow.
3. Causes of the Falklands War: Argentina vs. England
In this lesson, we will learn about the historical background of the Falkland Islands War, the timeline of events of the war, and the consequences of the war for Argentina.
4. Single-Party Rule in Mexico and the Fall of the PRI
This lesson will trace the rise and fall of Mexico's PRI party. In doing so, it will highlight its dominance, the presidency of Cardenas, and the political corruption under Portillo.
5. Dictatorships in Hispaniola: Duvalier in Haiti & Trujillo in the Dominican Republic
This lesson will highlight the brutal dictatorships of Haiti and the Dominican Republic. In doing so, it will chronicle the regimes of Duvalier and Trujillo. It will also note US involvement in these countries.
6. Events in Latin America During the Cold War
This lesson will discuss Latin America and the Cold War. It will highlight Guatemala, Nicaragua, Cuba. It will also discuss the tensions between the US and the former Soviet Union.
7. The Chilean Revolution & Augusto Pinochet
In this video, we learn about the circumstances under which Salvador Allende, South America's first democratically elected president, was removed from power in a military coup d'etat. We also learn about the role of the United States in the removal of Allende and the rise of a military dictator Augusto Pinochet in Chile.
8. Causes & Consequences of the Guatemalan Civil War
This lesson will explore the events of the Guatemalan Civil War. In doing this, it will highlight the Mayan population as well as the many military figures that ruled Guatemala during this 36-year conflict.
9. Juan Peron and Peronism in Argentina
In this video, we learn about Juan Peron, the President of Argentina from 1946-1955 and from 1973-1974. We learn about his rise to and fall from power and about his vague political ideology, which he called Justicialism.
10. The Nicaraguan Revolution: The Somoza Regime & Sandinistas
This lesson will explain the events of the Nicaraguan Revolution. In doing so, it will highlight U.S. involvement as well as the brutality and violence of the Somoza regime and the Sandinista rebels.
11. The Cuban Revolution: Causes & Effects
This lesson will detail the events of the Cuban Revolution. In doing so, it will highlight the reign of Batista, guerrilla tactics, Castro's promises of freedom, and his eventual alliance with communism.
12. NAFTA & North American Integration: Reasons & Effects
This lesson will explore the North American integration that occurred through NAFTA. In doing this, it will define tariffs, while also discussing the arguments for and against this famous agreement.
13. Social & Economic Changes in Latin America: 1900-1950
This lesson explores Latin America during the first half of the 20th century. It highlights the economic strains linked to World War I. It also discusses U.S. involvement in the region.
14. Military Rule & Democratic Reform in Brazil
This lesson will track the political events of Brazil from the 1950s to the 1980s. It will focus on the conflict between reform and military rule, while also defining the Abertura Process.
15. Causes of Latin American Migration to the United States
This video examines the causes of Latin American migration to the United States. In particular, we look at 5 theories of Latin American migration and highlight them with examples of different kinds of Latin American migration.
16. Organization of American States: History & Goals
Today's lesson will focus on the Organization of American States' (OAS) past and present. The lesson will highlight the OAS's ties to the Cold War, as well as its pursuit of economic prosperity for those living in the Western Hemisphere.
17. Post-war Latin American Politics
This lesson explores the political events occurring in post-World War II Latin America. We highlight the impact of the Cold War and American intervention.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School World History Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Foundational Concepts of World History Lesson Plans
- Geography High School World History Lesson Plans
- Major Belief Systems World History Lesson Plans
- Early Civilizations High School World History Lesson Plans
- Ancient Civilizations in the Near East High School World History Lesson Plans
- Early Chinese Civilization High School World History Lesson Plans
- Early Indian Civilization High School World History Lesson Plans
- Ancient Greece High School World History Lesson Plans
- Hellenism & Athenian Achievement High School World History Lesson Plans
- The Rise of the Roman Republic High School World History Lesson Plans
- Fall of Rome High School World History Lesson Plans
- The Rise of Christianity High School World History Lesson Plans
- The Eastern Mediterranean High School World History Lesson Plans
- The Dark Ages High School World History Lesson Plans
- African History High School World History Lesson Plans
- The Early Middle Ages High School World History Lesson Plans
- The Medieval Warm Period High School World History Lesson Plans
- The High Middle Ages High School World History Lesson Plans
- History of Asia (1000-1300 CE) Lesson Plans
- Pre-European Civilizations in North America High School World History Lesson Plans
- Eurasia and the Great Dynastic Empires Lesson Plans
- The Late Middle Ages High School World History Lesson Plans
- The Renaissance High School World History Lesson Plans
- The Age of Exploration High School World History Lesson Plans
- The Reformation Across Europe High School World History Lesson Plans
- The Elizabethan Era High School World History Lesson Plans
- Colonialism High School World History Lesson Plans
- The Enlightenment & World Revolutions High School World History Lesson Plans
- World War I High School World History Lesson Plans
- Between the World Wars High School World History Lesson Plans
- World War II High School World History Lesson Plans
- The Cold War High School World History Lesson Plans
- Post War Europe, Asia, Middle East & Africa Lesson Plans
- The 21st Century High School World History Lesson Plans