About This Chapter
Laws of Motion & Gravitation - Chapter Summary
In these lessons, you'll learn about the laws of motion and gravitation. Topics covered include the law of inertia and the law of conservation of momentum. You'll also review how to solve problems using Newton's law of gravitation. After completing the chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Explain Newton's first law of motion and the implications in space and on earth
- Discuss Newton's second law of motion and how objects accelerate as a result of unbalanced forces
- Describe how Newton's third law of motion explains the relationship between two forces
- Use the conservation of momentum equation
- Explain how gravity works using Newton's law of gravitation
Our subject matter experts present the information in these short lessons using plenty of examples to ensure the material is easy to understand. You can review all the lessons in order, or just look at the ones that cover the topics you need to review. A brief multiple-choice quiz is available for each lesson to test your knowledge. You can also print the lesson quizzes and use them as worksheets.
1. Newton's First Law of Motion: Examples of the Effect of Force on Motion
This lesson describes Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. The interaction between force and motion is explained. Several examples are used to discuss the implications of this law on earth and in space.
2. Newton's Second Law of Motion: The Relationship Between Force and Acceleration
This lesson defines Newton's second law of motion. Examples are used to illustrate how unbalanced forces cause objects to accelerate. The examples are used to practice calculating acceleration and force for objects in motion.
3. Newton's Third Law of Motion: Examples of the Relationship Between Two Forces
This lesson describes Newton's third law of motion. Examples are provided to illustrate how interacting objects experience forces. The lesson explains how objects accelerate as a result of force. Applications of Newton's third law are illustrated in nature, machines, and space.
4. The Law of Conservation of Momentum
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what conservation of momentum is and use the equation for conservation of momentum to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
5. Newton's Law of Gravitation: Definition & Examples
This lesson explains how gravity works mathematically and teaches you how to use Newton's Law of Gravitation to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ICSE Physics: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Measurement in Physics
- Presentation of Scientific Data
- Motion in One Dimension
- Properties of Fluids in Physics
- Heat & Temperature in Physics
- Reflection of Light
- Nature of Sound Waves
- Understanding Electricity & Magnetism
- Force, Work, Energy & Power
- Properties of Light
- Modern Physics Overview
- ICSE Physics Flashcards