About This Chapter
Leadership for Customer Service Managers - Chapter Summary
By using the lessons in this chapter, your customer service managers can learn new ways to enhance productivity, build effective teams, cope with change using the planned change process and set well-thought-out goals and objectives. Customer service managers can review:
- How to manage a customer service team
- The role of leaders in organizations
- Characteristics of strategic leadership
- Henry Mintzberg's managerial roles
- Ways in which customer service managers set team objectives and goals
- The planned change process
- Process and advantages of delegation within teams
- Qualities, characteristics, definition and examples of effective teams
Well-written and expertly presented lessons provide valuable information in an engaging, thought-provoking and interesting manner. Each lesson is accompanied by a short quiz to reinforce retention, while the chapter exam tests for overall mastery of the material. The readily-accessible online profile allows your customer service managers to study at their convenience from any Internet-capable device.
How It Helps
- Clarifies leadership roles: Customer service managers need to be fully cognizant of what is involved in undertaking and fulfilling the role of a leader.
- Explains delegation: With a better understanding of the delegation process, your customer service managers can more effectively assign tasks and increase productivity.
- Defines effective teams: A clearer comprehension of the qualities and characteristics of an effective team can help customer service managers reexamine their own teams or build teams as required.
Successful completion of the chapter will enable customer service managers to:
- Define the role of a leader in an organization
- Give the definition and offer examples of strategic leadership
- Understand the 10 managerial roles most commonly found in organizations
- Set reasonable, attainable goals for their teams
- Explain the role of a customer service manager in setting team goals
- Discuss the steps in the planned change process
- Explain the importance and process of delegation
- Understand the unique roles and duties of a manager for a customer service team
- List the qualities that constitute an effective team and explain how to manage one
1. Leadership: Leaders & Their Role in Organizations
Leadership is the action of leading employees to achieve goals. It plays an important role in employee performance and productivity. Learn about how leaders influence employee behavior in this lesson.
2. Strategic Leadership: Definition, Characteristics & Examples
There are many different leadership types and theories. This lesson will look at one approach - strategic leadership - by defining it, describing its characteristics, and providing some examples.
3. Henry Mintzberg's Managerial Roles
There are many roles a manager has within an organization. Henry Mintzberg describes ten specific managerial roles most commonly seen within organizations. This lesson will discuss each of these roles and what behaviors are associated with them.
4. Setting Team Goals & Objectives
The goal-setting process can be more effective when team members are involved and SMART goals are used. This lesson will explain these factors and offer some tips on how to successfully approach the goal-setting process.
5. How Customer Service Managers Set Goals
In this lesson, you'll learn the criteria that successful customer service goals need to meet. You'll also see how these goals are chosen and then adapted as circumstances change.
6. The Planned Change Process
Change is one of the most challenging events an organization will go through. This lesson describes the steps of the planned changed process, which include recognizing the need for change, developing change goals, appointing a change agent, assessing the current climate, developing and implementing a change plan and evaluating the plan's success.
7. Delegation Within Teams: Process & Advantages
Delegating work to others is a powerful tool in increasing a company's level of productivity. This lesson will discuss the importance of delegation, its benefits, and the process of delegating tasks to team members.
8. Practical Application: Effective Delegation Scenarios
In this guide, you will apply your knowledge of delegation, the act of passing down authority, to hypothetical scenarios, as well as apply this to your current employment.
9. Managing Your Customer Service Team
Your customer service team is an important component of company's brand and success. Learn what you can do as a customer service team manager to understand and empower your team and to create an excellent customer service environment.
10. What Is an Effective Team in Organizations: Characteristics, Definition & Qualities
Companies that organize their workers in teams can improve their productivity and identify new approaches to achieving company goals. In this lesson, learn about the characteristics and qualities of effective teams.
11. Characteristics of Effective Teams: Examples and Qualities
Effective teams can contribute heavily to the success of an organization. This lesson explores the key characteristics that make teams effective in the business world. You'll see an example of each characteristic and learn about underlying, supportive aspects of effectiveness.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Customer Service Manager Skills & Training course