About This Chapter
Leadership in Organizations - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Solid leadership is a cornerstone of every organization. Learn how trustworthy and effective leadership helps organizations succeed by reviewing entertaining video and text lessons. Instructors cover topics that include types of power, tactics used in organizational behavior and influences on leadership effectiveness. Find multiple-choice quizzes in this chapter that will help you test your comprehension of these concepts. Topics covered include:
- The importance of leadership in the workplace
- Dimensions of trust and the reasons framing is significant at work
- Positional and personal power
- Influence tactics in organizational behavior
- Management by objective
- McDonald's organizational management
|Leadership: Leaders & Their Role in Organizations||Explain the meaning of leadership and why leaders have important roles within organizations.|
|Five Dimensions of Trustworthy Leadership||Analyze what trustworthy leadership is, and outline the five dimensions of trust.|
|How Framing Influences Leadership Effectiveness||Compare case studies that highlight how framing can influence the effectiveness of leadership.|
|Leading as a Function of Management||Assess leading as a function of management.|
|Positional Power: Legitimate, Coercive & Reward Power||Evaluate the three types of positional power.|
|Personal Power: Referent and Expert Power||Distinguish two types of personal power: expert and referent.|
|The Seven Influence Tactics Used in Organizational Behavior||Differentiate the various tactics used to show power in the workplace.|
|What Is Management by Objective? - Defining the MBO Process||Summarize management by objective.|
|Leadership in the McDonald's Organization||Appraise leadership within the McDonald's organization.|
1. Leadership: Leaders & Their Role in Organizations
Leadership is the action of leading employees to achieve goals. It plays an important role in employee performance and productivity. Learn about how leaders influence employee behavior in this lesson.
2. Five Dimensions of Trustworthy Leadership
There is a lot of research and literature on what makes a good leader. In this lesson, we'll discuss the role trust plays in being an effective leader and introduce 5 dimensions that are needed by any trustworthy leader.
3. How Framing Influences Leadership Effectiveness
We all have our own views and opinions; however, many leaders use special techniques to influence these views and opinions. In this lesson, we will learn about one technique called framing and how it can be an effective tool for many companies.
4. Leading as a Function of Management
This lesson teaches you about leading as a function of management by examining the surprising similarities between two very different leadership scenarios: leadership at war and leadership in the workplace.
5. Positional Power: Legitimate, Coercive & Reward Power
Managers require different types of power to make things happen in their organizations. This lesson focuses on positional power. There are three types of positional power that will be explained in this lesson, including legitimate, reward and coercive power.
6. Personal Power: Referent and Expert Power
Managers require different types of power to make things happen in their organizations. This lesson focuses on the second type of power, known as personal power. There are two types of personal power that this lesson will explain, including expert and referent.
7. The Seven Influence Tactics Used in Organizational Behavior
Power is not always used where we can see it. Sometimes, it is more a part of a person's actions than someone directly telling you to do something. In this lesson, we will address different power tactics and how they are sometimes used in the workplace.
8. What Is Management by Objective? - Defining the MBO Process
Management by objective (MBO) changed the way many companies worked and functioned. With MBO, employees' input was sought out and used to help develop the goals and objectives for the organization.
9. Leadership in the McDonald's Organization
Have you ever wondered how a restaurant becomes successful? In this lesson, we will learn about one of the most prominent fast food restaurants today, McDonald's. Specifically, we will explore the leadership practices of this organization.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 307: Leadership & Organizational Behavior course
- Overview of Organizational Behavior
- Management Process & Strategy
- Diversity & Social Issues in Leadership
- Personality in Organizations
- Attitudes & Values in Organizations
- Perception & Attribution in Organizations
- Employee Morale & Motivation
- Motivation Theory
- Types of Workplace Communication
- Work Teams & Group Behavior
- Team Decision Making
- Conflict in Organizations
- Organizational Structure & Design
- Job Design in Organizations
- Organizational & Company Culture
- Business Ethics & Issues
- Change in Organizations
- Globalization & Organizational Behavior
- Required Assignments for Business 307
- Studying for Business 307