About This Chapter
Leadership & Management in the Hospitality Industry - Chapter Summary
Feel confident that you have a quality understanding of leadership and management in the hospitality industry by reviewing this chapter's entertaining lessons. Examine the definitions of leadership and management and learn about functions and aspects of each. Expand your knowledge by sending lesson topic questions to our experts. Assess your comprehension with help from multiple-choice quizzes and a chapter exam. When finished with this chapter, you'll have the ability to:
- List types of leaders and supervisors in the hospitality industry
- Explain how leading acts as a function of management
- Differentiate between the concepts of management and leadership
- Define and list key concepts of delegation in management
- Exhibit an understanding of modern management theories
- Discuss the importance of quality management systems and how they work
1. Hospitality Industry: Leadership & Supervision
Within the hospitality industry, there are several leaders and supervisors who assist in the organization's operations. This lesson will introduce you to the general title of the leaders and how you can identify the different types of leaders.
2. Leading as a Function of Management
This lesson teaches you about leading as a function of management by examining the surprising similarities between two very different leadership scenarios: leadership at war and leadership in the workplace.
3. Management vs. Leadership: The Difference Between a Manager & Leader
Are all managers leaders? Are all leaders managers? This lesson presents arguments that place a manager and a leader into two separate categories, each with their own defining characteristics.
4. Delegation in Management: Definition & Explanation
Delegation is vital for the accomplishment of many organizational tasks. In this lesson, you will learn what delegation is and some of its key concepts.
5. Modern Theory of Management
Modern management theory has changed the way managers look at their jobs. Advancements and refinements in management theory and practice have enabled managers and managerial systems to evolve. In this lesson, we will look at modern management theories.
6. What Is Quality Management System? - Definition & Examples
Even if a company isn't concerned about producing a world-class product, quality still needs to be a primary goal. In this lesson, you'll learn about quality management systems - what they are, how they work, and why they are so important.
7. Ethics in the Hospitality Industry
This lesson discusses important ethics in the hospitality industry and describes why they are necessary to keep customers happy and to ensuring a company's success.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 101: Introduction to Hospitality course
- Hospitality Industry Overview
- Key Management Functions in the Hospitality Industry
- Communication & Decision-Making in the Hospitality Industry
- Improving Service in the Hospitality Industry
- Planning & Organizing in the Hospitality Industry
- Control Systems & Issues in the Hospitality Industry
- Hotel Classifications & Operations
- Food, Beverage & Alcohol Operations
- Restaurant Organization & Operations Overview
- Tourism & Recreation
- Gaming Industry Overview
- Meetings, Conventions, Expositions & Special Events
- Studying for Hospitality 101