About This Chapter
Leadership Principles - Chapter Summary
This convenient online business chapter explores the fundamental principles of leadership. Inside, you'll find a series of short video lessons that explain several leadership theories and provide information on leadership roles, organizational culture and management. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Compare the roles of different types of organizational leaders
- Differentiate between leadership and management
- Explain Mintzberg's managerial roles
- Summarize leader-member exchange theory and organizational behavior
- Evaluate the differences between trait theories and behavioral leadership theories
- Understand how modern organizations manage diverse workforces
- Assess Hofstede's cultural dimensions theory
- Recognize the characteristics of organizational culture
To help you reinforce your understanding of the material, we've included plenty of self-assessment quizzes throughout the chapter. Our instructors are available to answer any questions you may have about leadership principles, and you can print the accompanying lesson transcripts to study offline. Access the chapter at any time using your computer or mobile device.
1. Leadership: Leaders & Their Role in Organizations
Leadership is the action of leading employees to achieve goals. It plays an important role in employee performance and productivity. Learn about how leaders influence employee behavior in this lesson.
2. Management vs. Leadership: The Difference Between a Manager & Leader
Are all managers leaders? Are all leaders managers? This lesson presents arguments that place a manager and a leader into two separate categories, each with their own defining characteristics.
3. Henry Mintzberg's Managerial Roles
There are many roles a manager has within an organization. Henry Mintzberg describes ten specific managerial roles most commonly seen within organizations. This lesson will discuss each of these roles and what behaviors are associated with them.
4. Leader-Member Exchange Theory and Organizational Behavior
As we work with our managers and leaders, we begin to develop a level of trust between us. The employee trusts the leader will be good and fair, and the leader also develops trust in the employee's ability to do his job.
5. Trait Theories vs. Behavioral Theories of Leadership
There are many different theories on leadership. In this lesson, we will explore the trait and behavioral theories and explain how they apply to leadership.
6. Managing a Diverse Workforce in Contemporary Organizations
Diversity is all around us and is a huge part of the business climate today. All companies strive for diversity, so they can have a unique perspective and look at issues through the eyes of their employees. This lesson will address diversity in a global setting.
7. Hofstede's Cultural Dimensions Theory
Dimensions of culture are an important aspect of international business. Knowing how cultures view different aspects of business can help a manager navigate through the international business market.
8. What is Organizational Culture? - Definition & Characteristics
In this lesson, you will learn what organizational culture is and how it dictates behavior in organizations. You'll also explore the seven values that define the culture of an organization.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PMI-PBA® Certification Exam Study Guide - PMI Professional in Business Analysis course
- PMI-PBA® Certification Overview
- Understanding Business Analysis
- Business Needs Assessment
- Business Analysis Planning
- Business Analysis Methods
- Types of Business Analysis & Management Models
- Business Analysis Tools & Techniques
- Traceability & Monitoring in Business
- Communication, Conflict Resolution & Negotiation in Business
- Business Analysis Evaluation
- PMI-PBA Certification Exam Study Guide - PMI Professional in Business Analysis Flashcards