About This Chapter
Leading Work Groups & Teams - Chapter Summary
This chapter closely examines what it takes to lead work groups and teams. Review fun lessons in the form of videos or text lessons to study the basics of team leaders and members, effective teams, designing work teams and much more. Find out how much you understand about these concepts by taking mini quizzes and a practice exam. If you have questions or need to clarify details presented in the lessons, feel free to reach out to our subject-matter experts. Enjoy 24/7 access to these resources using any computer or mobile device. By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define the work team in contemporary business
- Explain the formation and list types of groups in organizations
- List and discuss tips for building productive virtual teams
- Describe challenges of working on virtual teams
- Identify and explain the implementation of communication tools for virtual teams
- Discuss the use of emotional intelligence in leadership
- Share differences in the approach to teams among cultures around the world
1. What Is a Team Leader? - Description, Role & Responsibilities
Are you interested in becoming a team leader or need to find one for your organization? Read on to learn more about what a team leader is and the various roles and responsibilities that comes with this position.
2. The Work Team in Contemporary Business: Definition & Analysis
Contemporary business has thrived with the use of work teams in creating products, solving problems and developing alternatives. There are many ways that work teams add to the productivity and success of a company.
3. Groups in Organizations: Formation & Types
There are many different types of groups, likely more than you may be aware of. In this lesson, we will explore the various types of groups and how they are defined. We will also look at how or why they form, as this will give us a better understanding of their focus and design.
4. Characteristics of Effective Teams: Examples and Qualities
Effective teams can contribute heavily to the success of an organization. This lesson explores the key characteristics that make teams effective in the business world. You'll see an example of each characteristic and learn about underlying, supportive aspects of effectiveness.
5. Team Members in an Organization: Roles, Responsibilities & Characteristics
We will discuss the different roles of team members in an organization. We will go into more detail about the specific characteristics of each role. Test your knowledge with a quiz at the end of the lesson.
6. Applications & Issues in Designing Work Teams
Designing and managing a work team brings about quality decisions, products, and services. You need a mission plus team members with expertise, commitment, and trust. It's also important to establish a plan, accountability, and conflict resolution.
7. Tips for Building Productive Virtual Teams
Virtual teams are trending in the business world. While just assembling a group of people does not always yield high productivity, implementing the right strategies may help to build a dynamic virtual team.
8. Challenges of Virtual Teams
Working on a virtual team can be challenging. Team members may be located in different time zones or have different expectations on how to complete an assigned project. This lesson discusses the challenges facing a virtual team and offers techniques for overcoming those challenges.
9. Communication Tools for Virtual Teams
Virtual teams are growing in popularity, requiring widespread implementation of communication tools to help the teams to be more effective. This lesson offers suggestions for using communication tools for virtual teams.
10. Using Emotional Intelligence in Leadership
Many times managers or leaders focus on the functional aspects of the job you do, as opposed to the emotional intelligence that drives the way you do your job. We will discuss emotional intelligence and how it relates to leadership in this lesson.
11. How Teams Differ in a Global Setting
Different cultures view teams, or teaming, very differently. Those perspectives are compounded when there are multicultural teams present. This lesson will look at this issue in more detail.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 302: Foundations of Leadership course
- Basics of Leadership in the Workplace
- Leadership Styles & Traits
- Leadership & Management Functions
- Effective Leadership & Leadership Theories
- Decision-Making in Leadership & Business
- Communication in Leadership
- Ethical, Social & Legal Responsibilities of Leadership
- Managing Conflict & Conflict Resolution
- International Business Leadership
- Required Assignments for Business 302
- Studying for Business 302