About This Chapter
Learning Disabilities Across the Lifespan - Chapter Summary
This chapter clearly explains learning disabilities across the lifespan for your review. Different types of developmental disabilities are covered, as well as the long-term effects of and emotional growth associated with learning disabilities. Our expert instructors have created these lessons to help you:
- Examine cognitive and social development in individuals with learning disabilities
- Outline the ways in which linguistic and physical developments are impacted by learning disabilities
- Describe the emotional growth of individuals with learning disabilities
- Discuss the lifelong effects of learning disabilities
If at any time you need help, you can always reach an instructor through the Dashboard with your questions. The short quizzes included with each lesson are also a great way to assess your comprehension and keep you on track as you complete the chapter. Study anytime you'd like on your mobile phone, tablet or computer with the confidence that these resources were written by professionals.
1. Cognitive Development in Individuals with Learning Disabilities
Whether you are a regular or special education teacher, you are sure to encounter students with learning disabilities in your practice. This lesson offers insight into how cognitive development plays out across the lifespan in these individuals.
2. Linguistic Development in Individuals with Learning Disabilities
As a teacher who works with individuals with learning disabilities, you might be interested in how they acquire and use language at different ages. This lesson addresses linguistic development and its relationship to learning disabilities.
3. Social Development in Individuals with Learning Disabilities
It is not unusual for an individual's social development to be impacted by a learning disability. This lesson looks at the different ways learning disabilities can affect social development across the life span.
4. Emotional Growth in Individuals with Learning Disabilities
Teaching students with learning disabilities means attending to their development and needs on a holistic level. This lesson focuses on the trajectory of emotional growth in individuals with learning disabilities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Learning Disabilities (063): Practice & Study Guide course
- Learning Disabilities & Other Types of Disabilities
- Factors Affecting Development & Learning
- Language Disorders
- Perceptual, Memory & Reasoning Disorders
- Behavioral, Social & Emotional Disorders
- Assessment Instruments & Methods in Special Education
- Assessment Procedures in Special Education
- Assessment Interpretation & Communication in Special Education
- IEPs, IFSPs & Transition Plans
- Setting & Monitoring Student Goals
- Learning Environments in Special Education
- Fundamentals of Classroom Management
- Individualizing Instruction for Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Language Development
- Promoting Emergent Literacy
- Promoting Reading Skills for Students with Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Written Expression for Students with Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Math Skills for Students with Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Social Competence in Special Education
- Promoting Functional Living Skills in Special Education
- Developing & Implementing Behavioral Interventions
- Roles & Responsibilities of the Special Education Professional
- Communication & Collaboration in Special Education
- Historical, Social & Legal Issues in Special Education
- Professional Development in Special Education
- MTTC Learning Disabilities Flashcards