About This Chapter
Learning Disabilities & Other Types of Disabilities - Chapter Summary
In this chapter is an engaging exploration of learning disabilities and other types of disabilities. Our instructors take a close look at autism, ADHD, developmental delays and more, enabling you to do the following with confidence:
- Differentiate between impairment, disability, handicap and developmental delay
- Exhibit knowledge of the distinguishing factors of learning disabilities
- Define developmental disabilities
- Share causes and symptoms of developmental delays in children
- Discuss whether autism and ADHD are learning disabilities
Study the lessons your way by accessing them anytime using any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. By taking advantage of this flexibility, you can boost your knowledge of learning disabilities and other types of disabilities without worrying about time and location constraints linked to traditional classes. Benefit from access to subject-matter experts who can answer any questions you have about specific lesson topics. Before taking your test, use our mini quizzes and practice exam to ensure you fully comprehend this chapter.
1. Difference Between Impairment, Disability, Developmental Delay & Handicap
Many people use the terms 'impairment', 'disability', 'developmental delay' and 'handicap' interchangeably. Though these terms are related, they do not mean the same thing. This lesson explains the differences in these terms.
2. Distinguishing Factors of Learning Disabilities
How can teachers identify learning disabilities in students? Are there specific signs to look for? This lesson will discuss the distinguishing factors of learning disabilities.
3. What Is a Developmental Disability? - Definition & Statistics
In this lesson you will learn to define the term developmental disability, as well as learn about the importance of developmental milestones, common causes, and current prevalence data in the United States. Following completion of this lesson you will have the opportunity to test your knowledge with a short quiz.
4. What Is a Developmental Delay in Children? - Definition, Causes & Symptoms
Some children do not reach specific developmental milestones, such as walking or talking, within the normal age range. Learn more about the different types of developmental delays, their causes, and symptoms.
5. Is Autism a Learning Disability?
This lesson will define autism spectrum disorder. It will also provide you with the characteristics associated with the disorder. Finally, this lesson will answer the question: ~'Is autism a learning disability?~'
6. Is ADHD a Learning Disability?
In this lesson, you will learn the answer to the question: Is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) a learning disability? You will also learn about the relationship between ADHD and Specific Learning Disabilities (SLD).
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Learning Disabilities (063): Practice & Study Guide course
- Learning Disabilities Across the Lifespan
- Factors Affecting Development & Learning
- Language Disorders
- Perceptual, Memory & Reasoning Disorders
- Behavioral, Social & Emotional Disorders
- Assessment Instruments & Methods in Special Education
- Assessment Procedures in Special Education
- Assessment Interpretation & Communication in Special Education
- IEPs, IFSPs & Transition Plans
- Setting & Monitoring Student Goals
- Learning Environments in Special Education
- Fundamentals of Classroom Management
- Individualizing Instruction for Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Language Development
- Promoting Emergent Literacy
- Promoting Reading Skills for Students with Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Written Expression for Students with Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Math Skills for Students with Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Social Competence in Special Education
- Promoting Functional Living Skills in Special Education
- Developing & Implementing Behavioral Interventions
- Roles & Responsibilities of the Special Education Professional
- Communication & Collaboration in Special Education
- Historical, Social & Legal Issues in Special Education
- Professional Development in Special Education
- MTTC Learning Disabilities Flashcards