About This Chapter
Learning Styles & Effective Teaching - Chapter Summary
From classroom technology to teacher roles, this chapter provides a broad look at effective teaching approaches. Lessons focus on planning strategies, instructional methods, learning styles and more.
Each lesson offers a brief but thorough review of these topics in an easy-to-follow manner. The chapter contains examples to ensure your full understanding of the material addressed in each lesson. After you have reviewed this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Detail the roles of a teacher
- List the qualities of an effective teacher
- Explain different types of teaching styles and strategies
- Identify various factors that impact or affect teaching
- Describe the characteristics of different learning styles
- Provide details about differentiated instruction
- Discuss effective instructional planning practices
- Relate information about classroom technologies
Short lessons are presented by experienced instructors, so you can learn from those who have successfully applied these methods and strategies. Access these lessons at any time, on any device, so you can study whenever it fits best in your busy schedule. Track your progress easily on your Dashboard and use self-assessment quizzes to determine your readiness in moving from one topic to the next.
1. What are the Roles of a Teacher?
Educating is just one of the many things you will have to do in your role as teacher. This lesson will detail several of the key roles teachers play in classrooms and schools.
2. Becoming an Effective Teacher
Understanding the principles and theories of educational psychology is essential for teachers but simply understanding is not enough. Future teachers must embrace sound educational principles and seek opportunities for growth throughout their careers. This lesson will focus on the qualities of an effective teacher, including pedagogical content knowledge awareness, reflective teaching and action research.
3. Teaching Methods: Types & Strategies
In this lesson, we'll explore both teacher-centered and student-centered instruction and then define and discuss the effectiveness of various teaching methods, including lecture, assignment, dictation, project, and seminar.
4. Factors Affecting Teaching
There are several factors that influence classroom teaching. They include parent expectations with regards to teacher communication, socioeconomic conditions, and school policies such as those related to attendance and discipline.
5. Characteristics of Learning Styles
Some of us learn by seeing, others learn by doing, and some even learn by listening. This lesson provides an overview of learning styles, including characteristics of each type of learner.
6. Differentiated Instruction: Adapting the Learning Environment for Students
Differentiated instruction is a great strategy that teachers use to accommodate a wide variety of learning needs. In this lesson, we discuss differentiated instruction and identify which aspects of the classroom can be differentiated.
7. Instructional Planning: Quality Materials & Strategies
Teachers need multiple resources and methods in order to effectively plan instruction. In this lesson, we will discuss the importance of quality instructional materials and teaching strategies.
8. Different Types of Classroom Technology
Technology can broaden the horizons of your students right inside of your classroom. This lesson explores the various types of technology that can be used to liven up everything you teach.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UGC NET General Paper on Teaching & Research Aptitude: Exam Prep course
- Student Evaluation Systems
- Research Methodologies for Educators
- Reading Passage Construction & Comprehension
- Communication & Media in the Classroom
- Reasoning, Analogies & Logic
- Interpretation of Data
- Information & Computer Technology
- People & the Environment
- Higher Education & Governance in India
- UGC NET General Paper on Teaching & Research Aptitude Flashcards