About This Chapter
Learning With Disabilities - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons will aid you in understanding effective learning strategies for individuals with learning disabilities. Our instructors explain the meaning of terms including impairment, disability and handicap, and you'll look at how people with disabilities have been considered over the years. Another lesson explores federal categories for special education. After watching all the lessons, you'll be ready to:
- Define learning and learning strategies
- Tell the difference between disability, handicap, developmental delay and impairment
- Explain basic psychological perspectives, including behavioral, cognitive and developmental
- Reflect on past and present perspectives on people with disabilities
- Discuss the characteristics of the special education categories used by the federal government
These brief lessons and the accompanying quizzes are created by experts in the field. Each video has a written transcript with important terms and phrases highlighted. A chapter exam concludes this chapter and is designed to gauge your mastery of the topic.
1. What is Learning? - Understanding Effective Classroom Strategies
We all learn new things every day, but how is 'learning' defined in educational psychology? This lesson covers the definition of learning, different types of learning, and discusses learning styles.
2. Difference Between Impairment, Disability, Developmental Delay & Handicap
Many people use the terms 'impairment', 'disability', 'developmental delay' and 'handicap' interchangeably. Though these terms are related, they do not mean the same thing. This lesson explains the differences in these terms.
3. Behavioral, Cognitive, Developmental, Social Cognitive & Constructivist Perspectives
How do different people learn? Not everyone agrees. In educational psychology, there are many differing perspectives. This lesson will differentiate between the following psychological perspectives: behavioral, cognitive, developmental, social cognitive and constructivist.
4. People with Disabilities: Past & Present Perspectives
Society's treatment and care of the disabled has changed throughout time. This lesson will explore past and present perspectives on people with disabilities and will end with a brief quiz to see what you have learned.
5. Federal Disability Categories for Special Education
Disabled students face unique challenges and may require special accommodations for education depending on their needs. This lesson will explore the different categories designated by federal disability guidelines for special education.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Special Education - Teaching Students with Learning Disabilities (5383): Study Guide & Practice course
- Human Development Overview
- Students with Individual Disabilities, Disorders & Impairments
- Learning Theory
- Motivation Theories in Learning
- Curriculum Planning & Accessibility in SPED
- Instructional Practices for Student Success in SPED
- Technology in the Special Needs Classroom
- Communication & Social Skills in the SPED Classroom
- Transition Planning & Life Skills for SPED Students
- Assessment Instruments & Methods in Special Education
- Assessment Procedures in Special Education
- Assessment Interpretation & Communication in Special Education
- Historical, Legal & Ethical Foundations of Special Education
- Special Education Services & IEPs
- Communication & Collaborative Approaches in Special Education
- Effective Teaching & Professional Growth in Special Education
- Praxis Special Education - Teaching Students with Learning Disabilities (5383) Flashcards
- Creating a Positive Learning Environment