About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your legal and ethical issues homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your legal and ethical issues homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- The law and psychological assessments
- Competency to stand trial
- Insanity defenses
- Therapist's duty-to-warn
- Right to treatment
- Informed consent
- Improvement in mental health
1. Psychological Evaluations & the Law: Competency to Stand Trial and the Insanity Defense
Psychology and the law intersect in many ways. In this lesson, we'll look at two important parts of a trial that forensic psychologists participate in: competency hearings and the insanity defense.
2. Psychology and the Law: Institutionalization and Therapist's Duty-to-Warn
Psychology and the law intersect in many ways. In this lesson, we'll examine two important concepts in forensic psychology: the therapist's obligations of confidentiality and the duty to warn, and institutionalization.
3. Ethical Issues & Mental Health: Right to Treatment, Informed Consent & Confidentiality
When someone goes to see a mental health professional, they have legal and ethical rights that are meant to protect them. In this lesson, we'll explore three major rights of patients: confidentiality, the right to treatment, and informed consent.
4. Organized Efforts to Improve Mental Health: Domestic & International
Psychological treatments have come a long way, but there are still barriers to providing quality care to the mentally ill. In this lesson, we'll look at some of the efforts being made to improve psychological care in the U.S. and around the world.
5. Disseminating Evidence in Nursing
To stay abreast of best practices in their field, nurses are encouraged to research, analyze, and present new evidence-based findings to patients or others in their field. Learn what dissemination of evidence in nursing is, as well as its goals, methods, and barriers in this lesson.
6. Improving Doctor/Patient Communication Skills
Have you ever wanted to know how to hone your clinical communication skills? In this lesson, discover the purpose, goals, pitfalls, and strategies to successful communication with patients
7. Understanding Doctor/Patient Confidentiality Law
Keeping private information between a doctor and patient is not a simple issue. This lesson provides definitions and introduces current laws. It also gives examples of when private medical information may be revealed.
8. Doctor/Patient Confidentiality for Minors
Doctor-patient confidentiality is extremely important but rules of confidentiality can change when a minor is the patient. In this lesson, we will learn about confidentiality in the medical care of minors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help Resource course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Research Methods in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- The Biological Model of Abnormality: Homework Help
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- Homework Help for the Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- The Diathesis-Stress Model: Homework Help
- Clinical Assessment: Homework Help
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders: Homework Help
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Stress Disorders: Homework Help
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology: Homework Help
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders: Homework Help
- Psychotic Disorders: Homework Help
- Substance Use Disorders: Homework Help
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Life-Span Development Disorders: Homework Help
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Factitious Disorders: Homework Help
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help