About This Chapter
Legal Aspects of Nursing - Chapter Summary
The collection of lessons in this chapter will be useful to you in your nursing studies, covering professional licensure, patient protection and legal issues that arise in nursing. The topics you will be studying include the following:
- ANA Standards of Care
- Legal issues within nursing such as civil and criminal laws
- Topics involving nursing licensure, such as grounds for revocation
- Areas of liability in nursing
- Cases related to crime and nursing
- Patient's Bill of Rights
- How advance directives affect nursing professionals
You have the chance to test your knowledge with the short multiple-choice quizzes. We also have a chapter test that covers the material that is covered in the entire chapter. Not only will the lesson quizzes and chapter test give you immediate feedback, they can be taken as many times as you wish.
1. Understanding Nurse Practice Acts: Definition and Impact
This lesson gives an overview of Nurse Practice Acts. It takes a short look at the history leading up to enactment of Nurse Practice Acts, defines Nurse Practice Acts, and Boards of Nursing.
2. Legal Issues in Nursing: Concepts and Terms
This lesson will introduce you to the basic legal concepts and terminology of today's professional nursing. We'll go over law, jurisprudence, incompetence, liability, negligence, and malpractice.
3. Nursing Licensure: Legal Requirements, Revocation, Suspension, and Credentialing
So you are interested in becoming a nurse. A nursing license is an important required credential for the job. In this lesson, we will discuss the legal requirements, revocation, suspension, and credentialing for nurse licensure.
4. Legal Liability in Nursing: Areas of Liability
Nurses can be held legally liable for a variety of reasons. This lesson explains legal liability, negligence and malpractice. It also explores specific areas of nursing liability.
5. Nursing-Related Crimes: Felonies and Misdemeanors
Nurses can be prosecuted for intentional crimes committed on the job, such as murder and theft. Nurses can also be prosecuted for negligent behavior. This lesson explains both felonies and misdemeanors nurses can commit.
6. Patient Protection Measures: Patient's Bill of Rights, Good Samaritan Laws & Informed Consent
In this lesson, you will learn about three patient protection measures: Patient's Bill of Rights, Good Samaritan laws, and informed consent. It's a good idea to learn about your rights before something happens. It may not be as cut and dried as you think.
7. Advance Directives for Health Care: A Guide for Nurses
This lesson covers what the nurse needs to know about a patient's Advance Directive. Learn what it is, where it comes from, what it includes, who can witness the patient signing it, and more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NCLEX-RN Study Guide & Practice course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Safety & Security in Nursing
- Infection Control & Sterilization
- The Aging Process
- Pregnancy & Newborn Care
- Understanding Human Development
- Disease Prevention & Health Screening
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Recognizing Abuse & Neglect
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Substance Dependence Disorders
- Crisis Situations & Intervention
- End of Life Care
- Mental Health Concepts
- Religious & Spiritual Influences on Health
- Sensory & Perceptual Development
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Health Care Support Systems
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Nutrition Essentials for Nursing
- Clinical Test Results - Cells and Blood Proteins: Help and Review
- Diagnostics, Testing & Procedures for Nursing
- Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing
- Illness Management for Nurses
- Medical Emergencies for Nurses
- The Basic Components of Pathophysiology
- NCLEX-RN Flashcards