About This Chapter
Lesson Plan Templates & Examples - Chapter Summary
Because creating lesson plans is one of a teacher's main responsibilities, it is helpful to have multiple planning resources available to use when you begin this task. This helpful chapter features several types of lesson planning templates from rubrics to differentiated instruction. Other templates provided include:
- Layered curriculum
- Backward design
- SIOP, RTI and EATS
- Reading workshop
These are just a few of the many templates offered in this chapter. Besides just showing you the actual templates, instructors will also detail each component of the templates so you have a better understanding of its uses. You'll also learn how to develop your own lesson plan template and examine templates developed by Charlotte Danielson and Madeline Hunter.
How It Helps
- Provides useful resources: Above all, this chapter contributes a wide variety of lesson planning templates and examples to your instructional repertoire. These resources will be valuable tools when you need to create your lesson plans.
- Enhances understanding: Each template is thoroughly described to provide you with an adequate understanding of the information needed to use it and its specific instructional purpose.
- Teaches useful skills: Not only will you be taught how to use the templates featured in this chapter, you'll also learn how to create your own lesson plan template, a skill that is essential in the teaching profession.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Create your own unique lesson plan template
- Identify which specific templates are most effective for various subjects/material
- Utilize various templates to create lesson plans for your classroom
1. Mini Lesson Plan Format & Template
Do you find short periods of time throughout the school day that need to be filled with brief lessons? Use the tips in this lesson to create mini lesson plans that will be beneficial to students.
2. How to Create a Lesson Plan Template
Have freedom to use any type of lesson plan but stuck on what to include? This lesson will guide you through ideas for your specific needs and provide a template to help you visualize.
3. Layered Curriculum Template
A fantastic differentiation technique is the layered curriculum. Are you familiar with this model? This lesson will explain what a layered curriculum is, how you can use it in your classroom, and give you a template you can use for planning purposes.
4. Substitute Teacher Lesson Plan Template
Being a substitute teacher is not a simple task, but a good plan can make all the difference. Whether you are about to work as a substitute or you are a classroom teacher preparing to leave your class with a sub, this lesson gives you some tips about how to write a good plan.
5. Universal Design for Learning Lesson Plan Template
Universal design for learning is an excellent framework for making sure you are inclusive of all students. This lesson offers an overview of UDL and provides you with a template for planning lessons using UDL.
6. 5 Step Lesson Plan Template
Sometimes classes require direct instruction. How can educators insure that students pay attention to instruction and understand the subject matter? Teachers who use the 5 Step Lesson Plan encourage student participation while monitoring student comprehension.
7. Standards-Based Lesson Plan Template
Lesson plans are an incredibly important part of teaching. This lesson will show you how to write a lesson plan that is standards-based, which might be required in some teaching positions. You will also read a short example standards-based lesson plan.
8. Seven Step Lesson Plan Template
Thinking about using the seven step lesson plan? This lesson explains the model and provides a template you can use to plan lessons using this format.
9. Cooperative & Collaborative Learning Lesson Plan
This lesson plan is designed to help teachers instruct students about cooperative and collaborative learning. Students will be able to describe cooperative and collaborative learning experiences as well as participate in some of these experiences.
10. How to Create a Lesson Plan for Adults
A good lesson plan can make all the difference between a lesson that goes well and a lesson that crashes or fizzles. In this lesson, we'll discuss how to create an effective lesson plan for adults.
11. Workshop Model Lesson Plan Template
Teaching in a way that ensures all students learn takes careful planning. Use this workshop model lesson plan and make sure the needs of all your learners are met.
12. Tiered Lesson Plan Template
Creating tiered lesson plans is an important and helpful way to differentiate your instruction. This lesson offers you a template to help improve your planning and differentiation.
13. Constructivist Lesson Plan Example
Constructivism is a teaching method and philosophy that is unique in the world of education. This lesson explains the theories of constructivism and shares a sample template for you to use.
14. Differentiated Instruction Lesson Plan Template
Providing instruction so each student can learn is called differentiated instruction. This lesson gives an overview of differentiated instruction and shares a sample template outlining how to create a simple plan to use in the classroom.
15. How to Write a Nursing Teaching Plan: Template & Example
Nursing professionals sometimes need to teach health and medical information to various audiences. Use this nursing teaching plan template to help create effective lessons for any learner.
16. Nursing Lesson Plan Template
Providing high quality instruction in nursing is one of the most important things you can do to contribute to this helping profession. Use this lesson plan to help guide your teaching.
17. Language Arts Lesson Plan Template
Language arts teachers have a full workload every day. In order to keep content straight, it's important to have a plan. This lesson introduces the components of language arts and provides a template that can be used for language arts lessons.
18. Co-Teaching Lesson Plan Template
Co-teaching can be incredibly enriching, but it can also be challenging. A good plan can make all the difference. This lesson offers you a template to use when planning a co-taught lesson.
19. Direct Instruction Lesson Plan Template
Are you considering using the Direct Instruction model in your teaching practice? Then this is the lesson for you? We include an explanation of the method, then give you a template to use when planning.
20. Cooperative Learning Lesson Plan Template
What is cooperative learning, and how can you plan for and incorporate it into your practice? This lesson plan outlines the basics of cooperative learning and provides a template you can use to plan for cooperative learning experiences.
21. 6 Point Lesson Plan Template
One effective model for planning lessons is the 6-Point Lesson Plan template. Not familiar with this? This lesson explains the model's components and provides a sample for use in your planning and instructional design.
22. Dialectical Journal: Format & Template
Using dialectic journals in your classroom is a great way to have students respond to text. This lesson will explain the format of a dialectical journal and how students can use one while reading to increase understanding. A sample template is provided.
23. Balanced Literacy Lesson Plan Template
Balanced literacy is an excellent framework for reading and writing instruction in the elementary and middle grades. This lesson explains what balanced literacy is and offers a template for planning a balanced literacy lesson.
24. Action Plan Template for Teachers
Teachers can use action plans in many different ways. They are particularly helpful in defining and pushing students toward achieving goals. This lesson will teach you why action plans matter and show you how you can make one.
25. Lesson Plan Format
This blank lesson plan template provides you with a basic format for your lessons. Simply print out the template, fill it in with your information, and have a great class!
26. Differentiated Lesson Plan Examples
Differentiated lessons allow teachers to meet the needs of all students during a learning segment. The differentiated lesson plan example that is included in this lesson will show teachers ways to support various learners.
27. Creative Curriculum Lesson Plan Template & Examples
Creative curriculum lessons provide opportunities for students to build confidence while improving their critical thinking skills by engaging in hands-on discovery activities. This lesson plan template will guide teachers towards creating effective creative curriculum lessons.
28. Project-Based Learning Lesson Plan Template
Educate your students about average velocity with this helpful combined template and lesson plan. They will study a text lesson, take part in a fun activity on average velocity, and take a quiz to determine their knowledge of new material.
29. Bloom's Taxonomy Lesson Plan
What is Bloom's Taxonomy and how is it used? In this lesson plan, students will learn about Bloom's Taxonomy and practice writing questions appropriate to each of the levels.
30. Understanding by Design Lesson Plan Template
Understanding by Design is a framework for planning by backward design. This asset provides a template for planning lessons using Understanding by Design.
31. Marzano Lesson Plan Template
The Marzano Lesson Plan was developed from research done at the Mid-Continent Research for Education and Learning (McREL) Center, and it centers around nine instructional strategies that will improve students achievement across content areas.
32. NGSS Lesson Plan Template
The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) are composed of the three dimensions, crosscutting concepts, science and engineering practices, and disciplinary core ideas. This asset provides a template for lesson planning using the NGSS.
33. I Do, We Do, You Do Lesson Plan Template
One method of guiding students through the learning process is the I Do, WE Do, YOU Do lesson structure. This technique is a great way to move from teacher-directed instruction to independent student work.
34. Shared Reading Lesson Plan Template
Shared reading provides opportunities for teachers to model fluency and support students as they build comprehension skills. This asset provides a template for planning shared reading lessons.
35. MoPTA Lesson Plan Template
When teachers in Missouri are seeking certifications, they use the MoPTA, or Missouri Pre-Service Teacher Assessment, to indicate they are ready for the classroom. This asset contains a template for the lesson planning portion of the MoPTA.
36. SAS Lesson Plan Template
In the state of Pennsylvania, teachers use the SAS, or Standards Aligned System lesson plan design. This asset contains a template for teachers who are using the SAS lesson plan.
37. CGI Lesson Plan Template
Cognitively guided instruction, or CGI, is an approach to teaching mathematics that focuses on the process rather than the product. This asset provides a template for planning lessons using cognitively guided instruction.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Lesson Planning Ideas for Teachers course
- Integrated Curriculum Resources
- Peer Tutoring Resources
- Education Models in Lesson Planning
- Early Childhood Lesson Plan Templates & Examples
- Common Core Lesson Plan Templates & Resources
- Movie Lesson Plans & Classroom Resources
- Bell Ringer & Exit Slip Resources
- Project Rubrics
- Back to School Activities
- Field Trip Resources
- School Assembly & Event Ideas