About This Chapter
Letter Format & Writing Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
Incorporate instructional tips and strategies outlined in these lesson plans to guide your students through letter writing exercises and studies. Review learning objectives for each lesson and tailor your plans to meet these objectives. By using these lesson plans, you should be able to effectively teach your students:
- The differences between friendly and business letters
- Components of a business letter
- The format of a friendly letter
Links to related lessons allow you to present even more detailed information to your class.
How It Helps
- Encourages student participation : Activities include having students write actual letters to enhance their understanding of the material
- Meets common core standards: Lesson plans are designed to ensure that you are satisfying common core requirements
- Identifies key terms: Key vocabulary words are defined for your students
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to making planning letter format and writing lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific letter format and writing topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your letter format and writing class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related letter format and writing lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important letter format and writing concepts form the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant letter writing-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Formal Letter Writing Lesson Plan
What is formal writing? When and how is it used? In this lesson plan, students learn about formal writing and practice using it as they create a formally written piece of their own.
2. Letter Writing Lesson Plan
Beef up your instruction on letter writing with the help of a Study.com text lesson and an in-class activity. Suggestions for supplementary activities and related lessons are included to take instruction further.
3. Letter Writing Prompts
Have students practice their letter writing skills using these prompts. We've included ideas for students on a variety of levels and made sure they're concepts students will be excited to write about.
4. Friendly Letter Lesson Plan
Use this Study.com lesson to teach your students about the components of a friendly letter. Students will play a game reinforcing key concepts, then practice creating a friendly letter in groups.
5. How to Write a Friendly Letter: Format, Parts & Example
A friendly letter is a common activity in many elementary school classrooms. This lesson will teach you about the different parts of a friendly letter so you are better able to instruct your students in writing one.
6. Writing a Friendly Letter Activities
Are you working on friendly letters with your elementary school class? These activities involve your students in both reading and writing friendly letters, including thank you letters.
7. Writing a Letter to a Veteran Lesson Plan
This lesson plan teaches students about veterans then reviews the parts of a friendly letter. The plan concludes with students writing a letter to a local veteran. Group, individual, and whole class activities are included.
8. Persuasive Letter Lesson Plan
As students are learning about letter writing, understanding how to write a persuasive letter is an essential skill. This lesson includes a group activity to evaluate persuasive letters and a partner activity to create persuasive letters.
9. How to Write a Persuasive Letter: Planning & Format
How do you go about writing a persuasive letter? Where do you even begin in terms of persuading others? Dive into this lesson to learn about two important aspects of writing a persuasive letter: planning and formatting.
10. Business Letter Lesson Plan
Can your students draft a business letter? A video lesson allows them to self-check and correct their work, leading to a perfect final copy. Related lessons and extensions are provided for deeper exploration of this topic.
11. Components of a Business Letter
After viewing this lesson, you should be able to write a formal business letter that you can use to write official letters to businesses. This is also the type of letter you will write when you are sending out your resume to businesses.
12. Business Letter Writing Prompts & Activities
Do you plan on teaching your students how to write business letters? Read this lesson to discover ideas and writing prompts to make this form of communication a creative and engaging lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Writing & Composition: Lesson Plans & Activities course
- Writing & Composition Lesson Plans
- Writing Process Lesson Plans
- Narrative Writing Lesson Plans & Activities
- Types of Writing Lesson Plans
- Writing for the Media Lesson Plans & Projects
- Journal Writing Lesson Plans & Resources
- Forms of Creative Writing Lesson Plans
- Peer Editing Resources
- Writing Rubrics
- Prompts & Project Ideas for Writing