About This Chapter
Life Choices & Personal Wellness - Chapter Summary
How do lifestyle choices affect personal wellness? What influences health care decisions? Which techniques work best for coping with stress? You'll find these kinds of questions answered when you review this short chapter. You can also study information about chronic health conditions and major health problems in the U.S. After completing this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Compare and contrast health and wellness
- List various influences on health
- Discuss lifestyle choices and disease prevention methods
- Detail major health care decisions
- Describe what influences dietary choices
- Name some common chronic conditions and major U.S. health problems
- Detail health screening and early detection methods
- Describe how older people can cope with illnesses
Each short lesson offers bite-sized bits of information that you can review again and again, if needed. Access lessons 24/7 from any device, and print transcripts to use as quick-reference materials. It's easy to ask questions about any topic by reaching out to experts via a brief online contact form. Self-assessment quizzes help you determine how much you've retained from each lesson.
1. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
It's important to be happy and healthy! This lesson will contrast between health and wellness as well as what the different dimension of wellness are and how they interact.
2. Influences on Health: Social, Cultural & Environmental
Have you ever noticed that even though you have a healthy lifestyle, sometimes your surroundings have a big effect on your health outcomes? Learn about how social norms, cultural beliefs, and environmental conditions can impact our health.
3. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
4. Making Health Care Decisions: Factors, Choices & Criteria
Making decisions relating to your healthcare may be a daunting challenge. This lesson will explore where you can turn to for more information and which types of information are best avoided.
5. Factors that Influence Dietary Choices: Gender, Culture & Other Issues
You are a unique person and therefore, the dietary choices you make should be well-suited to who you are and what you do. The factors that influence these choices will be the focus of this lesson.
6. Health Behaviors and Promotion: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will discuss health promotion, health behavior, and the three different kinds of disease prevention strategies you can employ to stay healthy for as long as possible.
7. Major Health Problems in the United States
Ever wonder what the most common health-related problems are in the United States? You're about to find out what they are and how some of them are related.
8. Chronic Conditions Across Adulthood: Common Types and Treatments
In this lesson, we will explore several chronic diseases and conditions that can afflict a person in adulthood. These range from the lethal to the painfully annoying. In addition, we will discuss common ways that they are managed.
9. Methods of Health Screening & Early Detection
People seek ways to prevent illness through health promotion and early detection. Read this lesson to learn what methods individuals can use to detect diseases early and increase their chances of a full recovery.
10. Older People's Coping Mechanisms for Illness
As people age, illness and other changes can be a major challenge. In this lesson, we'll look at the coping mechanisms that people use to deal with life changes, including the difference between internal and external coping mechanisms.
11. Coping With Stress: Techniques, Attitudes & Reducing Exposure
Work, school, and life in general have plenty of things that cause us a lot of stress. If you'd like to learn some techniques that help to deal with these problems, watch or read this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040): Study Guide & Practice course
- Family Structure & Systems
- Basics of Interpersonal Relationships
- Stages of Adulthood & Aging
- Overview of Human Sexual Development
- Family Changes & Transitions
- Family Rights & Responsibilities
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Basics of Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- Parenting Process
- Parent-Child Communication & Conflict
- Principles of Nutrition
- Impact of Nutrition on Personal Wellness
- Health Care Rights & Responsibilities
- Careers, Family & Community
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Economics & Consumer Rights
- Resource Management & Consumption Behaviors
- MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040) Flashcards